Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2011, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Solutions New Hydro Aerator

Anyone have any info on their new hydro unit. The only thing i have seen is a video on youtube. Even their website has nothing. Please help with any info you may have come across. I am delaying the purchase of a Ryan LA 28 until i can get the lowdown on this. Thanks
Old 02-25-2011, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is an ongoing issue for everyone in the market for new aeration machines. The 24" dual hydro is supposed to come out late March. I honestly can't believe what a bad job Lawn Solutions did with the timing of this machine. No one is going to be able to take delivery or even demo a machine until the aeration season has started. This leaves zero room to work out the bugs and glitches that are almost certainly going to exist. On top of that, their website is way outdated. They have had a new/upgraded stand on unit out since last season and it has no mention of it on their website. I would say your best bet is to demo a Ryan 28 and if you like it, get it. They have been around and you won't have to worry about working the bugs out. I personally am waiting on a demo Plugr 855 and as long as the rumors are true, that is the type of aerators I'll be using from here forward. Lawn Solutions may have easy to operate machines, but they are terrible in the timing/information/marketing department.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Hey Stang, thanks for the reply. I thought i was missing something possibly. Even their dealers are in the dark. You mentioned the plugr 855 is there a new version of that this year also? Thanks again

Last edited by 1bigdaddy62; 02-25-2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: sp
Old 02-25-2011, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No problem. From what I've gathered on the pl855, it is a refined version of their pl850. Everyone I've talked to seems to be pleased with the results. I was looking at that and the Ryan 28. I'm going to demo the Plugr and go from there.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am in your shoes. Was waiting on reviews from the new Turfco xt5 and hoping the dual hydro LS machine would come out. Sold my PLUGR and wished I hadn't replaced it with a cheap Blue Bird ( I know) just to get by on the early wanters out there. Demoed the Plugr 855 and loved it but the tine wear is my main concern. Have discussed this with my distributor and Plugr directly and was given the, that is what it costs. Well duh but if the other manufactures are doing it for 4-9 bucks a tine you should figure out how to either 1 give a tine that lasts longer for that price or 2 figure out a material and manufacturing process to get the costs down. I hope your listening now Source One, It might cost you a sale of a machine and I am sure I am not the first one contemplating this!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sildoc: How bad is the plug wear issue? Are we talking replacement after 100 ordinary sized yards? 200? When they start to wear, does plug depth go out the window? What is the replacement cost? Also, how do you like the plug depth? I am all but sold on the plugr and I'm waiting anxiously for my demo!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2011, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Plug depth does suffer as they wear but with the 850 and I would assume 855 you can drop rear tire pressure as they wear to regain he lost depth. Cant do that with PL400,410, 600 or 800.

I also back out tines to around 3 to 4 turns threads in from the off position to compensate for wear. I use mine till they finally are down to a thin piece of metal near the back opening of the tine. Plug diameter also is fatter as they wear down.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 02-28-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang2244 View Post
Sildoc: How bad is the plug wear issue? Are we talking replacement after 100 ordinary sized yards? 200? When they start to wear, does plug depth go out the window? What is the replacement cost? Also, how do you like the plug depth? I am all but sold on the plugr and I'm waiting anxiously for my demo!
Posted via Mobile Device
Replacement costs are between 16-20 dollars a tine. ORDINARY? What is that? not sure but I can say you can do around (guessing a bit) 10-12 acres before you start adjusting and then another 2 after that. Now this is with the solid wheels and not the PL 850/55. I have ran that one and might get a few more acres worth but usually end up totally going through to where it just punches holes and doesn't pull.
I have done some retrofitting to see if I could build a better plug for cheap but haven't found a good solution that pulls a good plug.
The machines they build are great and probably the easiest on the body but the tine cost is huge. Over all probably not a deal breaker just waiting to get some reviews on the xt5 and the dual hydro from LS.
Need some higher ground speeds with dual speeds, pulling at least 14 plugs per square and reliability and that I would buy!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
I am in your shoes. Was waiting on reviews from the new Turfco xt5 and hoping the dual hydro LS machine would come out. Sold my PLUGR and wished I hadn't replaced it with a cheap Blue Bird ( I know) just to get by on the early wanters out there. Demoed the Plugr 855 and loved it but the tine wear is my main concern. Have discussed this with my distributor and Plugr directly and was given the, that is what it costs. Well duh but if the other manufactures are doing it for 4-9 bucks a tine you should figure out how to either 1 give a tine that lasts longer for that price or 2 figure out a material and manufacturing process to get the costs down. I hope your listening now Source One, It might cost you a sale of a machine and I am sure I am not the first one contemplating this!!!!!!
Sildoc did you get a price on the XT5 i couldn't find one on their site. Thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigdaddy62 View Post
Sildoc did you get a price on the XT5 i couldn't find one on their site. Thanks
3295.00+ shipping but if you buy before April 15th they knock 10% off and eat shipping.

Some one has to have one, lets get a report. they told me they are backed up till late March to get one?

Tags
lawn solutions , ryan la28