Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-24-2011, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This is interesting

For my area we are now required to take a best managment practices (BMP)training for maintenance. They basically go on to say that anyone in maintenance has to take the course. The super needs to have certificate of course training as well as employee's.

Effective date June 1st through Sept. 30th with up to $500 fines for violation.

I'll bet the course is $100 per person and renewed annually. Once I know more I will post more info.

Here's the link http://library.municode.com/HTML/102...USAP_S58-473DE
Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
For my area we are now required to take a best managment practices (BMP)training for maintenance. They basically go on to say that anyone in maintenance has to take the course. The super needs to have certificate of course training as well as employee's.

Effective date June 1st through Sept. 30th with up to $500 fines for violation.

I'll bet the course is $100 per person and renewed annually. Once I know more I will post more info.

Here's the link http://library.municode.com/HTML/102...USAP_S58-473DE

South Florida

The U of F and the Extension service have been giving the BMP seminar for a few years now. I took it about 3 years ago. So far it is my understanding you do not need to take CEUs to maintain the BMP certification. I think my original cost was like $ 25.00

However each county is making their own set of rules concerning the BMP certification. Many of these counties are taking the Tree Hugger approach to BMP and have made extra rules that are not recommended by the U of F and in fact are very much considered less effective in dealing with and Run Off or leaching.

I am not against Organic products, in fact I believe they have a very viable part to play in agronomy. What I am against is the uneducated Bleed Heart Liberals who think Orgasmic is the ONLY way to go.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
South Florida

The U of F and the Extension service have been giving the BMP seminar for a few years now. I took it about 3 years ago. So far it is my understanding you do not need to take CEUs to maintain the BMP certification. I think my original cost was like $ 25.00

However each county is making their own set of rules concerning the BMP certification. Many of these counties are taking the Tree Hugger approach to BMP and have made extra rules that are not recommended by the U of F and in fact are very much considered less effective in dealing with and Run Off or leaching.

I am not against Organic products, in fact I believe they have a very viable part to play in agronomy. What I am against is the uneducated Bleed Heart Liberals who think Orgasmic is the ONLY way to go.
Unfortunately the people writing these codes are probably not educated and experienced professionals or educators.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm totally with you on that Ric.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

well i have to respectully disagree on this one. I come at it from a different angle. In a city for instance an educated person is wrong. "A piece of paper" doesnt count. "Why I have been doing this for years all you need to do is add some urea to that brown spot, watering 6 days a week doesnt matter!"
These are the guys who plant trees in front of lights, put 6 inch stips of grass down a median strip, buy 500 ixoras and plant them in road rock. There are more of them sometimes it seems than us professionals. These are city employees from engineers to inspectors.
Im sure you have seen what state and county contractors get away with.
I read that manual a lot and there is a ton of very great info. Sprinkler, pesticide, fert guidelines etc. I think it is one of the finest 101 training manuals i have seen.
I deal with people that I have to show things to, basic things, that is 101 for the rest of us. Supervisors mind you. I need all the help i can get from these sort of publications.
Basically what i am saying it isnt always bad to have an extra license if it helps show the strength and supports knowledge in an experienced industry.
It is a good way to help weed out the guys who just dont get it. There are LOTS of them.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ric i dont want to confuse the fert stuff, ie leaching etc.(which we all know is crap) with the training aspect of the bmp stuff. We all have to be on board by 2014 we are told here.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with you olive. The more stuff like this, the more Billy bob will think twice about starting a lawn business. Juan and Pablo will be gone too. I like it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2011, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive123 View Post
ric i dont want to confuse the fert stuff, ie leaching etc.(which we all know is crap) with the training aspect of the bmp stuff. We all have to be on board by 2014 we are told here.
Olive

Best Management Practices is part of IPM, Which stands for I Pay Materials. Do you have any Idea how bad the average Fertilizer Purchaser is being ripped off. Any Fool using Scotts Products off the Home Depot Shelf is paying more for the Ink on the bag than the cost of fertilizer.

I have no Problems with reasonable Laws that can be embraced by the public and Enforceable. What I can't buy is Tree Hugger BS laws written by some jerk with no education. We are already seeing these local fertilizer ordinances being violated by both Green Industry people and HOME OWNERS.

BTW I believe there is a valuable place for Organics in our agronomy. I just don't believe Organics ONLY can do the job.

Oops in Edit

I forgot to add. Becareful what you wish for, You just might get it. I am referring to more Green Industry Laws when the present ones can't be enforced.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.