Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2011, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
A mindset to not loose money is a good one, but there are many different ways to not loose money... It takes me a total of 3 minutes to receive an estimate request, measure it out, and e-mail the contract. Oh and did I mention I stay in my underwear? My advertising and quality of work convince people to hire me. Not the words I use.

To me, convincing people that they want to hire you is done in the marketing and advertising stages. By the time they are looking for a price you have graduated to the sales stage. And in sales, your job is to find out what the person wants and give it to them. It is NOT to tell them what they want.

It sounds like this lady wanted a quick price quote. She didn't get it. So now she is looking elsewhere for a company that is willing to give it to her.

Just my .02 take it or leave it

Let's see what our chemical counterparts are doing... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=341956
To each his own. Quick price quotes are not what people on this side of the industry want to give. If people tell me they're going by price only, I'm not winning that battle. I also don't sell programs either, so just sending out a contract on an estimate from goilawn isn't the best practice for me. This would work fine for a standard lawn care company. I'm trying to educate the customer, not just give them a price. I had a call like the OP's a few weeks ago. I told the woman that I would measure when the snow melted, and I did. She wasn't happy, but she didn't know square footage so I couldn't even ballpark a price. I agree with most of the responses. I wouldn't want that customer either.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn View Post
To each his own. Quick price quotes are not what people on this side of the industry want to give. If people tell me they're going by price only, I'm not winning that battle. I also don't sell programs either, so just sending out a contract on an estimate from goilawn isn't the best practice for me. This would work fine for a standard lawn care company. I'm trying to educate the customer, not just give them a price. I had a call like the OP's a few weeks ago. I told the woman that I would measure when the snow melted, and I did. She wasn't happy, but she didn't know square footage so I couldn't even ballpark a price. I agree with most of the responses. I wouldn't want that customer either.
Natty, I think you're right on track.

Insofar as education, I think it's not as much as telling people what your going to do (educating) as why they should have you treat without chemicals. When you use conventional methods, you damage your property. With organics, you're investing in your property.

At the end of the day, people want to see results. How they get there is almost inconsequential (to them). It's our job to help them and also make a fair living.
Toll Free (844) 266-9375
Certified Soil Foodweb Advisor
"Products, Service and Support for Ecological Land Care"
Old 02-27-2011, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I check out their property on the web and send them a preliminary quote to make sure we are on the same page. I also send them another attachment which shows my work (pics) and some places they can check out some of my clients, in their area. This gives me lots of things to talk about (leverage) when they call back or I call them to discuss details about their property and it weeds out folks that are just looking at price and NOT results. If they get back to me needing more info THEN I spend my time and efforts to look at their property and customize a program to their needs. Now if they are close by I will take a look first.
Another thing is our pricing is in line now with the big boys which is going to make my job even easier because we are about results - not pricing, but if we have the results and even pricing - who you gonna hire?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Sponsor

Bravo!
Toll Free (844) 266-9375
Certified Soil Foodweb Advisor
"Products, Service and Support for Ecological Land Care"
Old 02-27-2011, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I feel that GoIlawn is a great tool. Even if it means a "bridge" program to start, it is usually an easy upsell to go full organic. I want to get in the door and then I can work from there.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
...Oh and did I mention I stay in my underwear?
TMI!

I really didn't need to know that...

Old 02-28-2011, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn View Post
It is also a good idea to go onsite, pull a plug or 2, show them what they got for soil,thatch, root depth, etc. and tell them what they can do without. If they can do w/out something, it leaves room for something else.

Also reading people is much more accurate when you engage conversation with them. If they want 6 apps becuz that's what TGCL does, and they want 2 inch height in July with bagged clipping and 2 " of water/wk... Then I know right away, that they can't afford my service.

If you are sending out estimates and programs without even touching the soil, then it is all the same as squirt and fert... JMO...
Old 02-28-2011, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Couldn't agree more, axe. I do much better in person than on the phone, and can't imagine making recommendations without actually looking at the site and the soil first.

And sometimes you just get a gut feeling that you aren't really going to hit it off with a particular customer...
Old 02-28-2011, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with both of you, however, my goal is to get my foot in the door. If the customer is used to having what TGCL does, and thinks that is the only way, then it is up to me to educate them and sell them on the value of what I offer. The only reason they would be calling me is because they are at least curious about organic lawn care. That right there is my "in".

By quoting a base price on a "bridge" program, I immediately know if they are comfortable with my pricing. I also explain that this is my most basic program and that once the soil test is performed, we may need to do more, but that is a start.

While we all are passionate about our service offerings, we need to be equally as passionate about selling those services. TGCL and all of the other squirt and fert guys are.

JMO
Old 02-28-2011, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicsMaine View Post
I agree with both of you, however, my goal is to get my foot in the door. If the customer is used to having what TGCL does, and thinks that is the only way, then it is up to me to educate them and sell them on the value of what I offer. The only reason they would be calling me is because they are at least curious about organic lawn care. That right there is my "in".

By quoting a base price on a "bridge" program, I immediately know if they are comfortable with my pricing. I also explain that this is my most basic program and that once the soil test is performed, we may need to do more, but that is a start.

While we all are passionate about our service offerings, we need to be equally as passionate about selling those services. TGCL and all of the other squirt and fert guys are.

JMO
I agree