Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-25-2011, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Velke??

I was wondering what people suggest about doing this? We have a 32" Exmark Metro belt drive walk behind that we use on smaller gated backyards. Is it worth putting a velke on it? Pros and cons? Will it hurt the smaller mower? The mower isn't used a ton but it would be convenient to throw one on there. The guys that would be on it are right around the 200 pound mark give or take a bit if that helps. Thanks.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 02-25-2011, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i dont think so, because it is not used much, and the 36ers dont have enough deck weight to keep it on the ground and pull you . that, and if you dont have high hp, it will really drag the engine and take away from cut quality or speed in the end.

just my opinion
Old 02-25-2011, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Friend of mine was thinking about the same thing. He has a 32" toro t-bar belt drive. I told him I didn't think it would be worth it for back yards and whatnot. Velkes really don't pay off unless you have larger open areas to run in. I wasn't even considering that the machine would have a hard time with it too. Since the 32" machines have such TINY narrow tires I can see it may be a problem!
Old 02-25-2011, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
i dont think so, because it is not used much, and the 36ers dont have enough deck weight to keep it on the ground and pull you . that, and if you dont have high hp, it will really drag the engine and take away from cut quality or speed in the end.

just my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
Friend of mine was thinking about the same thing. He has a 32" toro t-bar belt drive. I told him I didn't think it would be worth it for back yards and whatnot. Velkes really don't pay off unless you have larger open areas to run in. I wasn't even considering that the machine would have a hard time with it too. Since the 32" machines have such TINY narrow tires I can see it may be a problem!
Cool, thanks for the input guys. That's exactly what I was thinking. I was afraid it would put a strain on the machine and that we'd be stepping on and off of it in tighter areas more than we'd be on it.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 02-25-2011, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And stepping off of it means it's in the way for walking... I like the Pro-Slide (though I've enver used one) because they 'retract' as soon as you step off. The drawback to them is that you can't make turns, like 180* turns while on them, and can't speed on hard surfaces while riding one either. No goofy single wheel track to deal with, or sinking in wet ground either... They have a smaller, cleaper model as well, that I think you have to manually lift out of the way.. I wonder if they pull easier or harder than a wheeled sulkey?
Old 02-25-2011, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a few huge (flat) backyards with tiny gates, so I put a velke on my 32" Proline T-bar belt-drive. I've never seen another t-bar with a velke, and I can understand why...because it pretty much sucks. But it's better than doing all that walking every week.

It's just a 10.5 B&S, but it pulls me just fine on flat areas. Oh, and I'm a disgusting 200 pound fatbody. I'd probably be better off just doing the walking for the exercise, but during a 12 hour August marathon day, I'm happy to have the velke on. It won't pull you up any substantial hills, not because it doesn't have the power, but like mentioned before, the skinnier tires just spin and the deck isn't heavy enough to counter the weight and keep it down (be sure to mount the velke as low as possible on the mower frame, BTW)...but it does do good enough on flat ground. Maneuvering takes some getting used to with the t-bar.

You have to weigh the pros and cons. If you have mostly small, hilly yards, it won't be worth it, but if you have the flat monsters I have, it might be. I plan to acquire a 36" hydro and an employee in the next couple years, so the velke will be going on the 36" and the worker will be going on the 32".
Old 02-25-2011, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ericjd; Love your avatar! Now that's using your head, redneck style! haha!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
And stepping off of it means it's in the way for walking... I like the Pro-Slide (though I've enver used one) because they 'retract' as soon as you step off. The drawback to them is that you can't make turns, like 180* turns while on them, and can't speed on hard surfaces while riding one either. No goofy single wheel track to deal with, or sinking in wet ground either... They have a smaller, cleaper model as well, that I think you have to manually lift out of the way.. I wonder if they pull easier or harder than a wheeled sulkey?
That's not true. I've had pro slides on my machines for a few years now. I make all sorts of turns on them and the board is very resilient. I ride it down the road and over driveways all the time and I haven't replaced the boards yet. I feel that the pro slide puts less wear on the machine rather than a sulky, plus like you said when you step off it retracts itself so you can walk behind the machine rather than to the side. It also make packing up the trailer must easier. I could go on and on about the pro slide. I think its a thousand times better than a velke.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we used proslides before we got ztrs.

they were super to use, just have to replace the springs every so often as they got worn out, but they may be better now.

the unit stays fixed to the mower and does not pivot, so you swing around withthe mower on turns, always staying in the perfect operator position. much better than twisting your body on a typical velke, although their are some you dont.

you also dont stand higher than if you were walking!..

only thing you cant do with a proslide is reverse.

still, D, i would not get one for a small mower, kinda ******ed for the hassle of just backyards
Old 02-25-2011, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
we used proslides before we got ztrs.

they were super to use, just have to replace the springs every so often as they got worn out, but they may be better now.

the unit stays fixed to the mower and does not pivot, so you swing around withthe mower on turns, always staying in the perfect operator position. much better than twisting your body on a typical velke, although their are some you dont.

you also dont stand higher than if you were walking!..

only thing you cant do with a proslide is reverse.

still, D, i would not get one for a small mower, kinda ******ed for the hassle of just backyards
Thanks guys for all the info on the proslide. I will keep that in mind for the future. I think I will take Grassman's confirmation to not get one! Thanks again!
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com