Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2011, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Are there more people quitting this year 2011...?

...or it's just me and I'm just noticing more of them myself?

equipment for sale - I'm done...etc.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i think you are right. and no personal thing agaisnt anyone, but it can happen all day long to the millions of newbies that are truely not meant to be in this business. they ruin the market and lowball, mostly why they dont last

if you were not already established, i think you are going to be having a really hard time in the near future!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah but for every two that quit when the finally realise they bit off more than they could chew there are 3 more new guys ready to grab there craftsman 21", homelite trimmer, scotts 4-step fert and a bttle of ortho weed-b-gone. Until the aconmy turns around and these guys are back in their old full time gig off of un-employment they are going to be trying to lowball any account they can
Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

it might get really bad...gas is supposed to be $5 a gallon this summer and the economy is in the gutter...lawncare is the last thing on people's list to spend money on....just saying...food,rent,car payments, etc. all more important than someone paying a guy to cut their grass..hopefully it won't be too bad this year
Old 02-26-2011, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

all depends on where yuo are and the type of clients you have. I only market to houses over $1mill with combined income over $150,000. I have a few towns I market that the minimum demographics are $3mill homes with income over $250,000. You have to find the people who hae the money and concentrate on your efforts on them, these people for the most part want the nicest greenest lawn in the neighborhood and aslong as you don't screw up you will have them.

Many guys do just the oposite, lots of cheap lawns. That works for them to because if one quites it's not a huge hit to your bottom line. You just gotta find a niche that works for you so that losing customers due to the economy isn't a worry
Old 02-26-2011, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

probably the same average amount getting out and new ones starting this year as most years! I like the classifieds of Craigslist and even some on here that have a used commercial mower needing retail price cause they have a loan to payoff on it!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
all depends on where yuo are and the type of clients you have. I only market to houses over $1mill with combined income over $150,000. I have a few towns I market that the minimum demographics are $3mill homes with income over $250,000. You have to find the people who hae the money and concentrate on your efforts on them, these people for the most part want the nicest greenest lawn in the neighborhood and aslong as you don't screw up you will have them.

Many guys do just the oposite, lots of cheap lawns. That works for them to because if one quites it's not a huge hit to your bottom line. You just gotta find a niche that works for you so that losing customers due to the economy isn't a worry
1 million dollar houses? 3 million? lol...noone around here has a house more than $500,000 and the owners barely make it paycheck to paycheck as they are up to their eyeballs in debt....also those nice neighborhoods which there are like 2-3 here are taken by the huge lawn companies already so not a chance on getting their business...it's hard to compete even though you do as good of a job or better than they do...since they've been in business so long everyone assumes they are the best...even though they aren't to be honest...i could do a better job for cheaper but that doesn't mean i'm gonna get their business lol...i don't have to charge as much since i'm a one man operation...the big guys all have 3 man crews going around...most houses i cut are in the $60,000-$200,000 price range
Old 02-27-2011, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone starting off this year is foolish, gas hitting record highs, people un-employed new equipment over priced etc..
Remember having someone cut your lawn isn't a necessity to most it's a want..

Michigan has two seasons, winter and road construction.....!!!

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. Ecclesiastes 9:10
Old 02-28-2011, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoja View Post
it might get really bad...gas is supposed to be $5 a gallon this summer and the economy is in the gutter...lawncare is the last thing on people's list to spend money on....just saying...food,rent,car payments, etc. all more important than someone paying a guy to cut their grass..hopefully it won't be too bad this year
I totally agree with you man, I'm debating whether or not I should go up on my lawn cuts as it is.....after hearing all this crap about fuel going to five bucks per gallon, makes you almost not want to increase prices and just bite the bullet cause let's face it we are definatly a luxury for people not priority
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2011, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by copicut View Post
I totally agree with you man, I'm debating whether or not I should go up on my lawn cuts as it is.....after hearing all this crap about fuel going to five bucks per gallon, makes you almost not want to increase prices and just bite the bullet cause let's face it we are definatly a luxury for people not priority
Posted via Mobile Device
True, but you don't work hard for no gain do you? Why do this to skimp out a living?

TO the OP - yes definitely does seem like a lot of 'Im dones' on the Equipment thread.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13