Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2011, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree it's a fine line to keep prices the same and retain your current customers or to raise the rates to cover the inflation and risk being lowballed or having your rates to high and losing the customer.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
Many guys do just the oposite, lots of cheap lawns. That works for them to because if one quites it's not a huge hit to your bottom line.
That's because there are so few clients like you describe. The top 10% hold a huge majority of the wealth. Only in Switzerland is there a larger wealth imbalance.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I started a few years ago and really got heavy into it two years ago. I have been growing ever since..and its not b/c i lowball..i have actually price higher than most guys..but my work sells itself. Im not trying to brag..but if you do a good job..know how to price..i really think that now is not the hardest time to start a company..there are so many people out there doing an awful job that people are willing to pay for quality and consistency. Im actually buying a new mower this week. Im excited about 2011. I pray daily and tithe...and I believe that is one of the reasons I am able to succeed. just my .02
Old 03-02-2011, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Should I be worried about Ethanol mandated in every service station? I keep having carbureator problems with my Echo trimmers when I put ethanol gas in them.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mostaza, we have ethanol in NY and yes, they do a number on the smaller engines. I have echo trimmers too. Easier to put the ethanol stabilizer in your gas all the time... It is what the motorcycle shops recommend and it winterizes...

A buddy of mine is quitting because the winter we had totally disabled his truck from plowing. He was a sub for me and completely gave up midway into the season after I already paid. His Balance Sheet was all off. too much debt not enough cash flow and not enough savings.

In this Business you need to keep your money in the bank and take out only what you should get for pay checks. If you are running the show administering the business and are working FT through the winter also, then you should make at least $20-$30k, not $100k (unless your business can bear that cost). If people take the checks and just go right to the bar with em and they are going to lose out.

As for all these guys in NC, I'll be in topsail this summer... Anyone know where I can get a nice 3/4 ton used southern truck 4x4.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
yeah but for every two that quit when the finally realise they bit off more than they could chew there are 3 more new guys ready to grab there craftsman 21", homelite trimmer, scotts 4-step fert and a bttle of ortho weed-b-gone. Until the aconmy turns around and these guys are back in their old full time gig off of un-employment they are going to be trying to lowball any account they can
One good thing is when the home owner starts to find out that the low ballers and scabs don't realy know what they are doing and try to find someone new to service them , they find out they made a big mistake.sooner or later these guys will be busting there buts in the slums and not realy making anything to show for . they can have it!!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I will let my mowers sit befor I eat the gas prices. You have to pass the cost of running your bis. off to the costomer. If they are the type of person that don't understand , do you realy want them , I wouldn't!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think I will ever completely quite but the past 2 seasons we've seriously looked into other venture's. Now this year with fuel on the rise already, our insurance just went up AGAIN for no reason, its just becoming not worth all the trouble. The minute you mention 30 bucks to mow......"oh my last guy was only 20 bucks", you know all the usual stuff.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 03-02-2011, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

You lose some, you gain some.

It won't matter how bad things get. People become unemployed and desperately seek employment. Grab a mower and go. Anything to pay the bills.............right?
Old 03-06-2011, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope so!
Posted via Mobile Device