Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How Not to Cary Mulch

So today, I have now witnessed a new level of stupid...let me explain. I went to the mulch yard to pick up some top soil for a top dressing job. While there, I see a younger guy come by with a cheap lowes trailer to load up with the same material. I got 3 yards..and he got one. This place takes a lot of pride in there product so they try to keep it relatively dry...great for me, not so much for this guy. I watch him get loaded as I am being loaded and notice that his trailer has a mesh floor with rather large openings and there was nothing to hold the dirt. Well as you can imagine..once he started getting loaded..the dirt started to fall through quite a bit..ok A LOT, but this champ aint worried, even when the loader tells him he will loose a lot. So we leave and I follow him for quite a while as we were headed to the same direction. Immediately once he starts moving..the dirt begins to fall through the openings..I figured it would eventually stop though or atleast slow down with compaction...NOPE..I was behind him for a good 5 miles..and in that distance..he had to loose AT LEAST half of his load, no kidding..I just know he will be SOOO PISSED when he gets to the jobsite and finds out he wont have much mulch. What crazy stuff have some of you guys seen.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

haha, thats funny. Ive mounded up my dump trailer with dry mulch and not tarped it. Looks pretty funny for about 2 miles before it matts up.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I work at a large mulch yard and have seen those people who come in needing to have their stupid sign on them . The best one was a woman who came in a minivan and wanted a yard of compost so she spread a tarp out in the back and shoveled the whole yard in we were to busy to help until she got done. I guess you just can't fix stupid
Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

hey thats all some people have to work with. She probably saved 50 bucks not buying bags @ HD! I agree though, it would look pretty funny.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It takes all kinds
Old 02-23-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

he should have drove faster.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You always have great words of wisdom..and by the way..i havent commented on this before..but i love your status thing by your pic
Old 02-25-2011, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

People are so stupid you see those older model f150s with mulch over the top overloaded and I think what an idiot! The best is some guys with f 150s with fire wood for sale stacked over the cab and there bumper is literally inches from the ground!!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

@reddens.....i think i saw the same guy. were you leaving hensens, or blue max. i saw the same thing from a guy leaving hensens. i was giggling the whole time.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

I also worked at a mulch yard before, we had a lady who wanted one yard of double ground but she wanted it in 5000 little Tupperware containers Then we had a dude every year who puts a yard of double ground into the back of his fairly new toyota 4runner. Never surprises me what people will do to avoid a $35 delivery fee.