Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2011, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Bobcat E80

Has anybody operated one? Seat time in one? Not just speculation or hearsay..

I know they are made by Doosan. They spec out pretty much like any other 8 tonner. I read through all the speculation and hearsay, but have only heard from 1 guy who operates one. So has anybody operated one?

We own and operate Bobcat Skid loaders and are looking to add a 8 ton mini for tearing up asphalt, parking lot additions, and general excavation.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look around before buying one, I tried one out and so did my Dad and we both said the travel speeds were too slow, and excavators must have REAR mounted engines for better stability, Volvo learned this the hard way too and it killed their mini excavator sales.
Darn nice cabs though.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your response.

I did see that the travel speeds were down compared to others.

Stability also meaning tippy or do you just get alot of feedback in the cab?
Old 02-26-2011, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt/Dirt Man View Post
Thanks for your response.

I did see that the travel speeds were down compared to others.

Stability also meaning tippy or do you just get alot of feedback in the cab?
It'll be tippy if you run the big buckets we use here, but everyone else south of us seems to enjoy using tiny little buckets, so maybe it won't be as bad.
The Bobcat 430 and 435's were just horrible monsters to keep upright, my Dad bought a Hitachi 27 because it was 10 times more stable.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 02-26-2011, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

I have operated a 435 and while it operated like it should, the cab was terrible. A/C didn't cool the cab and it was small. I'm 6'5".
Old 02-27-2011, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I sat in one and the cab layout was not the same as my E50.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown
Old 03-09-2011, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, went to the Bobcat dealer to see the E80 and E50 in person and give them a test in their yard.

E80 while being very impressive visually, huge huge cab, super quiet, was slower than my 90 year old grandmother. Boom and stick were painfully slow, not responsive, controls took alot of movement to get a response. Me and Barge Man both ran it and were very dissapointed. We didn't get to run it for a long time, so we didn't get it hot. But i don't think it would have helped.

E50 operated better, more responsive and actually had some speed to it. We had to adjust the seat down because it seamed like the cab was made for a short person. Other than that, no real huge complaints. But i liked the cat 305ccr i ran last week better.

Finally to put this in perspective, we drove 5 minutes to ohio cat and checked out the 308 swing boom. Blows the E80 out of the water in terms of speed and responsiveness. Controls are much nicer and if you moved them, it responded with no delay.

Bobcat salesman said other people said it was slow but u don't notice it when your in the dirt. Get it in the dirt he says.
pshh
Old 03-10-2011, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Well, went to the Bobcat dealer to see the E80 and E50 in person and give them a test in their yard.

E80 while being very impressive visually, huge huge cab, super quiet, was slower than my 90 year old grandmother. Boom and stick were painfully slow, not responsive, controls took alot of movement to get a response. Me and Barge Man both ran it and were very dissapointed. We didn't get to run it for a long time, so we didn't get it hot. But i don't think it would have helped.

E50 operated better, more responsive and actually had some speed to it. We had to adjust the seat down because it seamed like the cab was made for a short person. Other than that, no real huge complaints. But i liked the cat 305ccr i ran last week better.

Finally to put this in perspective, we drove 5 minutes to ohio cat and checked out the 308 swing boom. Blows the E80 out of the water in terms of speed and responsiveness. Controls are much nicer and if you moved them, it responded with no delay.

Bobcat salesman said other people said it was slow but u don't notice it when your in the dirt. Get it in the dirt he says.
pshh
Remember that the E80 (and 60) are Doosan machines (and the only ones) painted white. I love Bobcats, its the only brand I own and it would take some serious convincing to buy a different brand, but would I buy a Doosan? Ever? Heck no, but that's just me.

I do own an E50 and i will say it is a great machine. If you are looking for a 5t mini, i would recommend demoing it, dig with it, its fast and extremely powerful. I know ioilyouin also owns one and I think he will say the same thing. I actually have a whole thread here on my E50 if you want to check it out. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=336172

Also yes the controls on the E50 are quite responsive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypjXJgOmDtU

Anyone can run equipment, very few can operate.

Check out what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BobcatNinja2124

The company I work for.
http://www.interstatelandscapenh.com/

Follow me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/TheDirtNinja
Old 03-10-2011, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks TomG, I have read your thread and was very impressed with what you showed it doing.

I am a bobcat lover myself. The E50 is a heck of a machine.

But through all the rentals we have done we have concluded we need a 8 ton machine. Buckets are roughly double the capacity and the dump height is much taller. We have mainly tandem axle trucks that have very high side boards. The 5 tons still load them, just not as easily.

Now we could still end up in a 5 tonner but we are shoot for a 8 tonner.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

pshh
Was the E80 in Economy or Power mode? That will make a difference in the performance you experienced.