Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-23-2011, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

would make a good advertisment

i have never seen this being done before but thought it would be great for an add campaign. yesterday the truck was towing 8 railcars today 3. maybe this is common but just new to me. kind of raises the bar on what did you tow today.
Attached Images

Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 02-23-2011, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There also used to be a rail system that had the truck trailers right on the rails and they would just swap off the rail wheels, but now the inter modal sea can system has taken over.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2011, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That looks like a truck that was made by Brandt. They have a drawbar, nuckle, and hose with a glad hand just like the loco's do. The cars are ballast cars, so im sure they were working in that area and needed to dump some rock.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Those cars have to be empty, the drive motors for the rail to road trucks are either hydro or just guide wheel with the rubber tires contacting the rails. That is a really cool site to see.

Matt
Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhunter View Post
Those cars have to be empty, the drive motors for the rail to road trucks are either hydro or just guide wheel with the rubber tires contacting the rails. That is a really cool site to see.

Matt
So what are you thinking rubber on steel gets less traction then steel on steelBesides its not like hes towing up a 6% grade or something
Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't take much to get a hundred tons of weight moving on steel rails.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
It doesn't take much to get a hundred tons of weight moving on steel rails.
Posted via Mobile Device
but it takes a lot to get them stopped, i seen a pickup pulling a flat car that was a site. i watched a cat 930 wheel loader going up the tracks (Amtrak) last week that was weird
Old 02-24-2011, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It sure looks like a Brandt Road Railer to me. One of the older ones that was built on a Western Star chassis instead of the Peterbilt chassis they are using now.

They were developed initially for farmer co-ops that had bought up the branch lines the railroads were casting off or abandoning. The thinking behind them, is that instead of needing a locomotive, one of these units can move the small number of grain cars on a line, then easily and quickly drive to the next spot cars need to be moved, saving a ton of time and money. That way, the farmers still had rail service available to them, instead of having to truck everything farther to get it to a rail terminal.....and cheaper shipping.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used to work for the railway with my backhoe. They would get me to partially deflate my tires and drive down the tracks. I put my bucket down and used the wheel brakes to steer. The guy who does it now has a set of rail wheels he clams up to guide him along.

I would take a book along because I would work maybe an hour out of 8. Lazy sods. The only time I ever really broke a sweat was when a coal train hit 4 horses that had got out of a field. You would be amazed at just how many pieces a horse can be cut into by a train. lol. A lot of shovel work.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhunter View Post

Matt
The drive motor is the ISX up front. The road wheels are just to keep it on the the tracks. All three back axles drive with super singles because duals don't work so hot. In fact, I was under the impression that they didn't work at all until i saw a F350 dually high railer in Unstoppable. The heli pilots in that movie were nuts.
THEY JUST QUIT HORSIN AROUND