Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2011, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Who wants a Fla Pesticide License??

OK I am fishing to see how many people would be willing to work hard and pay their dues to get a Commercial Pesticide License if given the opportunity?

I am not talking a Rent A License but actually working Part time in their own town on their own accounts to both learn the business and get the required Time in. Also included would mandatory Classroom training including testing.

I have considered doing this several time. However the Start up costs in both time and money are considerable. Therefore I need approx 5 people producing income just to break even. Also I can not take on People living in the panhandle or Keys etc. They must be close enough so I can work with them. If I were to do this, It would be my full time job training these individuals.

The main plan would be to form a Corporation and let those interested, Buy stock in that corporation as start up money. There by making them one of the owners of a pesticide company. They work for that Corporation both selling jobs and applications. As an owner the individual has some rights a Employee doesn't.

Of course the best part of this plan is Old Ric gets to make money without dragging hose. However if the Trainee doesn't make money the plan is no good. So who would Buy in for say a $ 1,000. Who would Buy In for $ 2,000. Don't tell me that is too high because you can make that much the first month.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that is a great idea. I also don't think the price it too high to buy in. It would be something I would consider.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would consider hearing more details but I have to say I have had a partner in my Scorporation in the past and I am not in any hurry to be a partner in another one again.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
I would consider hearing more details but I have to say I have had a partner in my Scorporation in the past and I am not in any hurry to be a partner in another one again.
Sounds to me like you'd be independent in your own towns but under Ric's "umbrella". Hell, I'd do it if I lived in Florida and didn't already know more than Ric.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Sounds to me like you'd be independent in your own towns but under Ric's "umbrella". Hell, I'd do it if I lived in Florida and didn't already know more than Ric.
Ted

Be careful how you say independent, I am still fishing but if I do this it will not be a Rent A License. Yes people would have their own territory and would be able offer both pesticide and Maintenance to customers. But the lawn pesticide part would have to be billed by the Pesticide Corporation. Of course those with Roundup Licenses can bill direct for those services.

The Deal Breaker for me is finding 5 to 8 people who are really interested in learning and willing to put out some effort. I also would hope they were totally honest with me and didn't Moonlight off my certification.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 02-27-2011, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Ted

Be careful how you say independent, I am still fishing but if I do this it will not be a Rent A License. Yes people would have their own territory and would be able offer both pesticide and Maintenance to customers. But the lawn pesticide part would have to be billed by the Pesticide Corporation. Of course those with Roundup Licenses can bill direct for those services.

The Deal Breaker for me is finding 5 to 8 people who are really interested in learning and willing to put out some effort. I also would hope they were totally honest with me and didn't Moonlight off my certification.
Yes Ric, my definition of independent was: no direct competition from other members of the corporation. Now, good luck finding truly honest people...
Old 02-27-2011, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Yes Ric, my definition of independent was: no direct competition from other members of the corporation. Now, good luck finding truly honest people...
Thanks Ted

I will start Carrying a Lantern like Diogenes.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea partnerships possibly hundreds of miles apart, hmm one - two thousand dollars, finding people who will adhere to your guidelines,, & DACS wants you very much involved with day to day operations,, I think your asking for trouble,,, Good luck with that,,you keep trying to come up with a way to make money without pulling your hose,, this way all those "partners" will be pulling your hose,, that's what I think,, I know you don't care,, just my 2 cents.
www.YourLandscapePro.com
Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrightday View Post
Yea partnerships possibly hundreds of miles apart, hmm one - two thousand dollars, finding people who will adhere to your guidelines,, & DACS wants you very much involved with day to day operations,, I think your asking for trouble,,, Good luck with that,,you keep trying to come up with a way to make money without pulling your hose,, this way all those "partners" will be pulling your hose,, that's what I think,, I know you don't care,, just my 2 cents.
www.YourLandscapePro.com
Adullday

You didn't read my first post about being close enough to train together or the mandatory Classes with tests. Legally with the DACS I am only offering a part time job as a salesman spray tech. I am giving more than the required training and the customers must be billed for pesticide services by the Pesticide company. As the CPOIC of that company I am involved with day to day operation. In the beginning I am going to be on site a lot trying to teach the EDUCATED EYE. My big concern is staying totally legal keeping my CPO License. Good training and TONS of paper work should help.

BTW The Businessman that chooses to go this way get some great advantages. First he is actually going to make more money in several ways. First the up sell of fully pesticide and weed control to present customers. Second the One stop shopping now offered to new customers. So between up sells and new customers they are also getting the time and experience necessary to sit for the CPO test. Also think of the shorten learning curve caused my having an experienced CPO guiding you and never more than a phone call away with a vested interest in your success.

But I am fishing right now. That mean I am only considering this as a possible business move in my old age. Hurricane Charlie took the better part of my retirement. I can survive on my retirement income, but I prefer to work a little and live.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be interested in some more details, as you work them out. The way I understand: anyone buying in would be part owners (so up to 8?), of this corp. And they would be working under your license for the 2 or 3 years, then sit for state test? Now as part owners and applicators, we upsell our current customers to " Ric's lawn spraying " (just a random name), which we are part owners of. Then we would get a % back based on sales? That would have to be a step program I'd guess based on individual sales. After sitting for the state test though, most of the part owners may want to sell there part. At this point I would think they would want all the money from their customers. What would happen then?