Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2011, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Even if I do take on something like this, there is definitively going to be a legal disclaimer not holding me liable for anything of the nature, if I follow the guidelines out-lined by the owner.

Any more opinions? And thanks RIC.
You can have all the disclaimers you want, BUT is won't stop someone from suing you and you have to spend lots and lots of money to defend yourself. I wouldn't put a drop of pesticides down, only straight fertilizer. No amount of money is worth a lawsuit.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesturf View Post
You can have all the disclaimers you want, BUT is won't stop someone from suing you and you have to spend lots and lots of money to defend yourself. I wouldn't put a drop of pesticides down, only straight fertilizer. No amount of money is worth a lawsuit.
Mike

We are both posting the same facts of life, just some people have to learn first hand. Even when you win a law suit, you LOSE. I am read posts that are saying don't treat here or there. I got news for you. even if you sprayed straight water you can get sued.

BTW I have sprayed a Child Care place with no problems. But I documented heavy just in case. Now I try and stay away from any problem. Life is too short and there are too many good customers.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

New Jersey is working on a bill that would prohibit pesticides not on a "low impact" list at day care centers, schools, municipal parks and athletic fields.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-27-2011, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
New Jersey is working on a bill that would prohibit pesticides not on a "low impact" list at day care centers, schools, municipal parks and athletic fields.
Slow Dog

A bout 10 years ago our local school board hired a Pesticide company to do Organic Pest Control. I really didn't pay much attention to them until the Lesco salesman pointed out they were always buying to most toxic pesticides. We never had any reports of kids glowing in the dark, so I guess it ended well. They no longer do work for the school board.

BTW I have no problems with your NJ bill and wouldn't mind seeing a few more locations added.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 02-27-2011, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Mike

We are both posting the same facts of life, just some people have to learn first hand. Even when you win a law suit, you LOSE. I am read posts that are saying don't treat here or there. I got news for you. even if you sprayed straight water you can get sued.

BTW I have sprayed a Child Care place with no problems. But I documented heavy just in case. Now I try and stay away from any problem. Life is too short and there are too many good customers.
Ric is sooooo right. Life is too short and there are so many good customers you can work with. Not having that worry hanging over your head of some idiot parent looking to blame you or all the extra work paperwork and special scheduling, etc.; is it REALLY worth the risk???
Old 02-27-2011, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesturf View Post
Ric is sooooo right. Life is too short and there are so many good customers you can work with. Not having that worry hanging over your head of some idiot parent looking to blame you or all the extra work paperwork and special scheduling, etc.; is it REALLY worth the risk???
Mike

Bed Bugs are the latest Pestilences for Structural Pest Control. Bed Bug law suits are also out numbering Termite Law suits. I dropped my Termite License because of high insurance rates and no margin in Termites.

But let us give White Garden a break and assume he has a package of Property to bid on and the Child Care has got to be included. No problem but he must bid high enough to cover pain and suffering of his butt when that child's lawyer calls.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Mike

But let us give White Garden a break and assume he has a package of Property to bid on and the Child Care has got to be included. No problem but he must bid high enough to cover pain and suffering of his butt when that child's lawyer calls.

Thanks Ric.

If I do this, it's going to be a very high number for this property. Life isn't without calculated risks anyways. I can get sued for just about anything now, so why not just add something else to it.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with ric 100%, run the other way, run faster!!! Here in ma. the paperwork alone makes it a loosing proposition, let alone the liability! Run!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king View Post
I agree with ric 100%, run the other way, run faster!!! Here in ma. the paperwork alone makes it a loosing proposition, let alone the liability! Run!!!
Lawn King

It only takes one Law suit to make you a believer and I am a Believer. Government work of any kind I try and stay away from also due to the Paper work. If I could run a straight Cash business with no paper I would. But I know better so I won't.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So I understand what everyone is saying and I will say that I agree that the liability doesn't out-weigh the reward.

But, for the sake of argument here, if the risk is that bad ultimately, how can other companies take on this sort of work? Even the larger locals wouldn't bat an eye and take on this account, not to mention some of the nationals that do this sort of applications.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.