Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2011, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok slice seeding - verticut - over seeding experts - how do you market for BIG $....?

... and UP SELL your service to the clueless public as to what it is? And create the need? 18 months before I bought My Bluebird S22 years ago .... I had no clue what a seeder machine was or did. I don't own a Lawn Solution seeder yet but if I'm able to get enough momentum on this I will.

Even in just aeration I see the resistance in peoples eyes on aeration..... when they really want power raking...yeah I know the education process. It seems the older the client is the harder the sell on aeration vs power raking. I'm aggressively going after the "I want and need my lawn power raked every year or every 3 years because it needs it" ...crowd. Again education in marketing is needed. But it needs to be done without being preachy.

Far to often the time I spend with aeration clients on turf education and stop the thatch process....kicking tires....there is more money in mowing. I'm going with handouts this year, "...sorry gotta run here you go read up the references on the back - here is the link to my web site with all the the links...knock your self out ..... argue with the university studies - not me.

The other part of the equation is HOW MUCH ARE YOU ABLE TO MAKE for time spent on your over-seeding aeration jobs after your material costs? Some of the big national companies here will call single pass 6 plugs per square foot aeration and throw down some seed an over seeding and charge only $75 for the trouble for a 1/4 acre property? My attitude is for that price why even bother....just mow and keep it simple which is what I also do.

The other snag I see in the process is I don't do chemical applications - 2-4-D products make me very sick - is this something I need to sub out?

Input?

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if customer wants power-raking--do it--but charge what is worth. Add the seed on top or use slit seeder. Better still, skip the power-rake and just add seed. Why not?
Old 02-27-2011, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
if customer wants power-raking--do it--but charge what is worth. Add the seed on top or use slit seeder. Better still, skip the power-rake and just add seed. Why not?
For a full power rake and clean-up I'm going to go with a $110 min for even a very tiny lawn. In this area some will power rake for as low as $30......this is a huge why bother to me. And why I'm very reluctant to drop the mowing angle.

I'm really interested in what has worked for others and what the real world over seeding profits are vs. just loading up ones schedule with mowings all season long which is vastly easier to market.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.