Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2011, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's funny, Turboguy, I also migrated to DW from Frontpage. But Frontpage was about all we had back in the day if you wanted a GUI.

I'll agree with you on the high price, however, there are so many free and paid templates out there (and included with the software,) and thousands of free and paid tutorials on how to do absolutely anything with it, that I have to disagree on the steepness of the learning curve. But I wasn't really suggesting it; I was merely stating that that is what I use.

Dittos on Network Solutions. I picked up a hosting account last summer, because they said that Network Solutions was dropping them because they weren't hosting small business accounts anymore.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe I am just dumb Jon When I used FP for the first time I played with the tutorial for 2-3 hours and could create websites. DW drove me crazy. I read the first 600 pages of 2 different books and still was having problems. I have found the YouTube tutorials to be really helpful. I wanted to do a gradiant background on one of the sites I am working on and 5 minutes on YouTube and I saw how easy it was to do.

I will agree there are a lot of templates both free and otherwise that are a great way for someone to start with doing websites with Dreamweaver. It definately is a great program and very versitile but probably more expensive then someone would like to spend to do one website. I do think if someone wanted to go that way they might be able to pick up a copy of DW that was a few releases back on eBay at an afordable price.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr7pro View Post
Sounds like a game plan. Your right about updates, if you don't need them
then don't pay monthly.

Glad you found the article useful.
Once you get this resolved and all paid for, tackle the domain name,
get it setup in your name. You can create an account at GoDaddy
free and have the guy transfer it into your account.

He can still be in charge of your updates, hosting, etc
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I plan on having him transfer the domain to me, I mean I did pay for the domain. I doubt there will be much of a problem there, we will see. This year I've been using 1 & 1 for hosting and domains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
That's a real bummer. Always Always Always have ownership of your domain name. Frankly I would not do business with any web site person who was so rotten as to own my domain name.

I would suggest that when you have your talk with him that you discuss this issue and frankly if he won't give you ownership of your own domain name I would drop him no matter what he offers or does. He is holding you hostage and controlling the domain name is totally unprofessional.

Honestly, I think he thinks that I wouldn't know any better.

Hosting companies. I use about 6 but like GoDaddy the best and hate Network Solutions. Just my opinion. I also really love GoDaddy for domain names.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
I have found the YouTube tutorials to be really helpful. I wanted to do a gradiant background on one of the sites I am working on and 5 minutes on YouTube and I saw how easy it was to do.
Oh yeah, those are a great resource. Sometimes it's quicker to just read a tutorial, but nothing beats actually seeing someone do it right before your eyes.

What would you suggest for a cost effective, reasonably easy web design program for clients with no background that want to edit their own (after we design them) website?
Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted to update this... The domain is in the process of being switched over and I switched hosting to my Dad's server (can't beat FREE). I also parted ways with this clown... Lesson learned.