Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag engine replacement

I hope I posted this in the correct place. I bought a used 1999 Turf tiger last fall with a locked up 22hp Kawasaki water cooled engine. I want to buy a new engine to stick on the mower.

Most engines I see out their are the 27HP Kawasaki water cooled engines. Some adds say it wont work on the 20-22 hp units. Some adds say the hyd. cooler needs to be moved. But I was wondering if they were talking about the Kohler model scags instead of the water cooled Kawasaki models.

Any help on this would be good or other engine suggestions

Last edited by PURPLE HORNET; 02-28-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

A 99 tt has the hydro res behind the seat instead of off to the left side of the 02 and newer models. I'm sure its possible to do, also a guy had a 27 kawi on this site for $750 which is a good deal.

I would take some measurements of a new model to yours. How the back mount attaches has changed over the years to fit certain engines. Maybe moving the hydro res is all that needs to be done but I don't know forsure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2011, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I have contacted my local scag dealer and realized quick they dont know much.

The 22hp Kawasaki is discontinued the retro engine is the 27HP. Nobody can tell me what needs to be done to convert from the 22 to 27. The local dealer does not have a clue and claims scag does not know either. I cant be the only one with a 1999 mower that wants to buy a new engine.

The dealer said that most people just buy a new mower instead of replacing the engine.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

pm me with the engine numbers and I will send you the info you need. It can be done we just need to see what size crank you need as well as the engine bolt pattern. Another thing to conceder is the electrical but most likely we can figure that out with the engine numbers.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

The Scag rep called me today he really was not much help. He did not know much, said he had no concrete details on whats needed to be changed.

The 99 Scag 22 Kawasaki is discontinued, the 27HP is the only thing to replace it with. # FD750D SO6 The only thing he could tell me was that the 22HP needed power added to run and the new 27 needed a ground. He claims I could buy a 2003 scag wiring harness for 200 bucks and it would work.

I really have my douts on the wiring harness. I dont want to spend 200 bucks and have to cut it all up. If I new 100% that it would work and plug into everything I would buy it. I can wire a complete car so a mower is a cake walk and the least of my problems.

Thinking about buying from Tulsa engine warehouse. I feel their is no need buying from a Scag dealer when their no help in my conversion. I also talked to one of the bigger Scag dealers in SC and they have never done this.

Here is the engine I am going to buy, if anybody has better sources or options please post

http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com/FD750D-S06
Old 03-01-2011, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Motor replacement

If the mower is in good shape, you are going to have a great machine after the transplant!