Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2011, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
yep. my F250 was getting around 10mpg unloaded, so pulling a loaded trailer was prolly close to 7-8mpg. the dodge is getting around 13-14 pulling the gooseneck loaded.
Thats why a Cummins is the best 3/4-1+ton truck motor !
They have been making onroad deisel motors longer than CAT.
http://www.lawnsite.com/group.php?groupid=78

I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious.-Thomas Jefferson
RON PAUL2008,2012Rand Paul2016
http://policethugs.com/
http://www.policemisconduct.net/
http://www.copblock.org/
Old 10-16-2011, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

HERE ARE A FEW MORE PICS.

finished for now on the clearing. may bring in some topsoil and seed the area.

all loaded ready to roll home!

Signed a contract today on this home for a full front yard landscape renovation. homeowner wants to do the back yard after the front is done. plan is to tear out the old beds and start fresh.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 10-16-2011, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC View Post
Thats why a Cummins is the best 3/4-1+ton truck motor !
They have been making onroad deisel motors longer than CAT.
CAT stopped making on road Diesels (Your going to insult Rudolph if you misspell and don't capitalize his last name) because they did not want to deal with DPF's and all that good stuff. Off road stuff is going to be getting DPF'd eventually so CAT will have to bite the bullet eventually.

It also should be noted that Cummins goes all the way back to 1919 and is the largest Diesel engine company in the world. They did $13,000,000,000 in sales last year. Way back in 1940 they came out with the first 100K warranty.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
CAT stopped making on road Diesels (Your going to insult Rudolph if you misspell and don't capitalize his last name) because they did not want to deal with DPF's and all that good stuff. Off road stuff is going to be getting DPF'd eventually so CAT will have to bite the bullet eventually.

It also should be noted that Cummins goes all the way back to 1919 and is the largest Diesel engine company in the world. They did $13,000,000,000 in sales last year. Way back in 1940 they came out with the first 100K warranty.
I was typing fast
MB had production Deisels in cars in the 20s and they also had the first crumple zones in the the late 40s but thats another 1st .
http://www.lawnsite.com/group.php?groupid=78

I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious.-Thomas Jefferson
RON PAUL2008,2012Rand Paul2016
http://policethugs.com/
http://www.policemisconduct.net/
http://www.copblock.org/
Old 10-17-2011, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are you parked on part of your new customers front lawn in that one pic?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Are you parked on part of your new customers front lawn in that one pic?
a little bit. thats the beginning of a cul de sac with a round island in the middle. didnt want to block the street. its ok the house belongs to my Aunt. whats great is she owns a business and is on the HOA board. so this is my chance to really get my foot in the door in her community. She gave me a budget of $10,000 for the front.

now i have to decide if i am going to quit the police dept so i can handle the landscape work load im getting.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 10-17-2011, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
a little bit. thats the beginning of a cul de sac with a round island in the middle. didnt want to block the street. its ok the house belongs to my Aunt. whats great is she owns a business and is on the HOA board. so this is my chance to really get my foot in the door in her community. She gave me a budget of $10,000 for the front.

now i have to decide if i am going to quit the police dept so i can handle the landscape work load im getting.
I know here in Austin there are a lot of cops that do extra security work that pays well. The type of work where carrying a gun is required. Do you have the ability to do any part time work like this in your area that actually pays decent? I know it can be hard to just up and quit a job that has a steady paycheck and benefits.

The drafting job I quit get into landscaping paid about 40K with some OT factored in. I worked at Home Depot when I was a student as well as when I was doing my drafting gig. I stayed on part time at HD for about a year until my landscaping cash flow picked up.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going back to school in the spring to finish my Hort degree. Ill get a check every month from the military for about $1000 for housing being a fulltime student. So that will help. I have about $20k in landscape install contracts signed. So I should stay busy through the winter. Plus I'm going Nov 16-17th to get my Louisiana Ornamental & Turf applicators license.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by KrayzKajun; 10-17-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

For the $1200 I invested in the GI Bill I got back about $28,000 from 94'-98'. I was in the Army from 90'-94' as a 12B. Wildflecken, Germany & Fort Hood were my duty stations. My GI Bill paid $800 a month full time. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess you were a 31B. I'm taking my applicators test on Nov 2nd. The the three different study guides add up to 500 pages here in TX.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Muddywater you need to get on some meds and calm down my friend. You seem to go off on negative tangents at the drop of a hat. Enjoy life a little more. There's nothing wrong with giving out constructive criticism but when you make it sarcastic or mean spirited it makes you come off as a flaming a-hole.
I just don't understand this whole forum for the most part. I think most people just work just to have equipment and trucks. At the end of the year, they don't pay any taxes because they haven't made any money... just a accrued more depreciating assets. People want the image of "looking successful." I thought we were in business to make money.

For instance, KK is hinting about going full time... but he just got an $800-$1000 a month payment reinstated. In my opinion, that extremely detrimental! You need to be saving cash, reducing expenses, becoming lean and mean... but all people can say is "cool truck." "Oh I wish I could get there one day" Is an $800 payment really that cool???

I just don't get it. You argue that he is making a sound business decision. But then he wants to jack it up for some reason(look cool). Which is fine... but don't tell me someone is making a sound financial decision when in actuality... it makes no sense to buy a truck that is slightly more capable than the last one and then modify so it damn near useless.

Have you ever sat down and determined your net worth? I would imagine most people on this site... probably 75% or more have a negative net worth.