Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2011, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Muddy, I do agree with you. i only have two semesters left to garduate. there are few of the hort classes i really want to take. Irrigation is one of them. the other plus side is the millitary is paying my tuition, and books. and i will be getting a nice check each month (around $900) for being a fulltime student. the zoo position was just an idea.

i could have 3full days of mowing come march if i put my mind to it.

my ultimate goal is around 65-75 mowing accounts, use thurs-sat for tree & landscape work.
Why are you contemplating the zoo job? I thought you were really enjoying your business?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2011, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
That is true. Most LA's do suck. But it is an excellent selling point that consumers will eat up.

I think being successful goes far beyond just having a degree. A degree is helpful, but it is NOT a one way ticket to success.
Good point. I seem to have forgotten that so many people that I graduated with are doing almost nothing right now. Ok, how about degree+work ethic+drive+professionalism=solid business? lol

I agree that a degree doesn't mean you will be successful. I just think when it comes down to you vs. joe blow and both are qualified for the job and you tell mrs. smith, I have an associate/masters in horticulture, ISA cert. arborist, state licensed LC, and joe schmoe isn't, I bet you get the job 9/10. It's just a good selling point. Most guys around here can't tell you the proper height to cut St. Augustine or how to properly prune a palm, so my degree is going to make me look way better than them right off the bat.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
Why are you contemplating the zoo job? I thought you were really enjoying your business?
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess I got caught up in the oppurtunity. I really do enjoy running my business and I think that is what I was meant to do. Now I just need to kick myself into high gear.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2011, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
I just think when it comes down to you vs. joe blow and both are qualified for the job and you tell mrs. smith, I have an associate/masters in horticulture, ISA cert. arborist, state licensed LC, and joe schmoe isn't, I bet you get the job 9/10. It's just a good selling point.

Even then, I don't know if a degree would always win for you. What if Joe has 20 wrapped trucks that have burned his name into the clients heads? What if they saw his company doing a 100k job around town? What if Joe doesn't have a degree, but has somebody on staff with a degree?

I get the feeling some people think it will take there company to the next level... when in reality it take a WHOLE lot more than just a degree. I think it is extremely hard to get a company of to a 3-4 million gross, and I think a college degree is not a prerequisite.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When I was taking class's from 90'-94' the GI bill was good for $815 a month. I use my AutoCAD AA degree all the time. I have all the general studies credits out of the way to put towards a BA in horticulture as well. I was going to start my BA back in 2000 but things got too busy and it will never happen now.

In high school my grades sucked but after my stint in the Army I settled down and managed to get a 3.4 GPA. It's nice to know you can handle the challenge of getting a degree of any type. I guarantee you there are a lot of guys in this industry who never challenged themselves and attained the mindset required to get a leg up on the competition.

Do what the hell you want to do now because once you have a wife and kids it becomes difficult to go back to school.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-29-2011, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
I guess I got caught up in the oppurtunity. I really do enjoy running my business and I think that is what I was meant to do. Now I just need to kick myself into high gear.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes I could not imagine working for someone else. It sounds more like hell than an opportunity. The money has got to be better working for yourself right? Another thing that is really great about this business is being able to all different types of jobs. Irrigation, bobcat work, tree work, grading, landscape design... you couldn't do that working for a zoo!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A degree is what you make out of it. I have a AA in Landscape Horticulture, I didn't go to a big univeristy to get it. I got mine locally, most of the classes where put into practical use meaning you'd learn it then went and did it, such as building stairs (learned in a classroom then went a built a few sets). Granted I'm not building stairs everyday but it gives you the confidence to do it later on. Now I had to take classes in irragation and lighting, I don't offer either of those services nor do I want to get into them (as they are here but not popular) I took them as having a general knowledge in that field so when they come up and I sub them out. I can understand what those subs are saying to me.

I'm saving my GI for when I go back, I won't mind to take a few business management classes. In my eyes I have a control over it but I wouldn't mind having my eyes open to different view. Keep the mind open I guess you'd say.

That was one thing like muddy said, it can set you back, before I started my own I was working for someone and the schedule got hectic. Went off on my own and yes it sucked balancing school, business, and reserve schedules. And starting off on my own was harder while in school. Could I have been further along in my business right now? Yes, could I have picked up a few things along the way? Yes, but the one thing that it gave me was the knowledge and confidence that the job is done right by the books/numbers vs. just going with the gut.

Does having the degree seperate me from the rest of the crowd? No. Having a degree only looks good on a resume. Granted there is people out there that think that having a degree would start you out in a better position, while the truth is that with limited or no expirence will get you no where fast, it's better having both.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 12-30-2011, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I actually got a call this morning the Hort Dept at Audubon Zoo, asking me to come in for an Appointment regarding the Arborist/Horticulturist position. I'm gunna go and just see what they have to offer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2011, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if you only have 2 semesters left then there's no reason not to go ahead and finish and get the degree. now is the time to do that. you have more time for it now than you will further down the road as you get more business going. you can try the zoo job. it's not gonna hurt anything. if your business really picks up you can always quit the zoo job.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Great news!! Got my score in for Arborist. I passed. Now I'm a Louisiana Licensed Arborist. Another lic under my belt. Looks like 2012 is gunna be a good year now!
Posted via Mobile Device