Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly I would buy a DW SK650. Unless you start getting huge take downs, and I'm talking 3'+ DBH, I would stick away from a full size skid. What if you take down a 10" hard wood in the back yard of a house, are you going to take you big skid steer in to pick up the wood? Or carry it by hand? A mini skid is perfect, not too big, not too small, and you can just throw it on the back of a truck.

What about getting a mini skid and a chipper? I think that is a better combo than just getting a large skid loader. I honestly take my mini to almost every job, its small, light, and it can pick up pretty good size logs.

Heres a picture of it in the back of my f-250 towing a Vermeer 353.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2012, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do a lot more than tree work. I have a fullsize skid and want to stay with a fullsize, just upgrade to tracks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2012, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
I do a lot more than tree work. I have a fullsize skid and want to stay with a fullsize, just upgrade to tracks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Why the change of direction all of the sudden?
Old 02-12-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I never changed direction. I am pursuing more tree work, buts its not my main focus. I would rather have a big machin and rent a small one when needed. I'm lookingh for something to help move sod,pavers etc.. Put a root grapple for tree and storm cleanups.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2012, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think something like a T190 would work for your type of work. The tree work you do isn't ridiculously extensive and you don't seem to be working with huge trees. Cut up smaller peices if you need to load it and the 190 can't handle it.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBacon View Post
I think something like a T190 would work for your type of work. The tree work you do isn't ridiculously extensive and you don't seem to be working with huge trees. Cut up smaller peices if you need to load it and the 190 can't handle it.
I have had a T190 for landscaping and it is a nice size machine for landscaping, BUT they struggle with even a pallet of sod. And if you overload a T190 you will crack the loader arms at the bottom, the attachment plate, and the cross tube.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I have had a T190 for landscaping and it is a nice size machine for landscaping, BUT they struggle with even a pallet of sod. And if you overload a T190 you will crack the loader arms at the bottom, the attachment plate, and the cross tube.
Yeah its easy to overload anything I guess. I thought I'd seen a picture of a 190 lifting a skid of pavers. I'm not sure if it was a full skid though. Would a T300 be too overkill for you KK? Or is that out of your budget?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Stopped at the dealer where I bought my mustang 2044. they have a 2007 Mustang MTL16 (same as Tak TL130). Machine has 900hrs w/ pilot controls for $21k. The dealer even mentioned taking my 2044 back in on a trade. I really like the Mustang line of machines & have great dealer support. I may try to see if we can workout a deal on the MTL16.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 02-13-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBacon View Post
I always rent the T190 when I need a skid loader. Not only is it easy on the lawns but it won't kick your azz on dry pavement like many wheeled loaders that want to hop around when you make a tight turn. It's rated at 1900 but I've unloaded semi's of bagged mulch without a problem. The pallets had 65 bags that averaged 40 lbs per bags.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 02-14-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well if I decide to go the smaller unit route, I was offered a deal today. A even trade my 04' mustang 2044 for a 05' ASV RC30 w/ grapple & dirt bucket with tooth bar.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers