Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2011, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How to make LED tail signals flash properly? 1995 Chevy 1 ton

Replacing the rear lights on my 1 ton dump bed with LED lights, and the signal flasher "blinks" at about 4 times as fast with the LEDs because of how little amp draw the LEDs have. (it thinks there's a bulb out). I bought a new "electronic" flasher module that was supposed to work and it does not, same problem.

What do I need to do to make the turn signals flash at the correct speed??

Also, please be detailed... As I'm not an electronics whiz. I've heard something about adding resistors or something like that in line to make them work?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Switching to a heavy duty flasher module worked for me on my Ford, but you said you tried a different module. Resistors do the trick, saw them in AutoZone last time I was in there, you can also find them on ebay.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Member

You can install an LED load equalizer:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=862778_0_0_

You are blinking faster because there is MUCH less resistance through the LED than through a filament bulb. You have to put a resistor (which can be called an LED load equalizer at the auto parts places or on ebay) inline with the bulb and then the blinker module "sees" the correct resistance and blinks at the slower rate.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks guys, though you would think that when I went in to auto zone and explained what I was doing, switching to LED's, they would have pointed me towards the resistors first...

Of course I didn't get any replies yesterday and I wanted to get that project DONE last night, so what I did was add a small marker light, incandecent, to each side. On the top of my headache rack I installed 2 of those pre-fab rectuangular boxes for the oval lights and there was room in those boxes for the small marker light to go inside each of those boxes! I had the marker lights (new) buried in a box, so those were "free" essentially, and solved the problem!

Having 4 LED lights facing the rear now, if the people behind me don't see these they shouldn't be driving!!! Actually they are almost blinding if you are just standing 5 to 10 feet back looking at them!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Yup... adding the incandescent works the same as adding a resistor... props to you for solving it for free!