Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2011, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

You are right, it would be cheaper to have the open trailer. But I know I had lots of little stuff go missing off open trailers. I bet over a year I lost a few hundred bucks of little stuff. Does not happen with the enclosed. Plus, let me tell you, resale of a used open trailer and enclosed, you get more money back on the enclosed. The 12x6 single axle, I paid 1500, put about 500 in it (brakes and some other stuff), when i sold it I got over 2k, so it was a win,win,win.

Money is tight, but if you insure your equipment, you might find the ins. is much less if you use the enclosed trailer, it is about 25% on my thieft ins, and that pays off every year!!!

Whatever you get, take care of it, lube it and be safe!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dude you really need to get a bigger truck if you want people to take you seriously. Imagine is everything to rapidly expand. If you wanna stay small then keep the setup you have. Get a 5x14 and you can fit two 48'' machines and couple 21". If you decide to get into the big leaugues than you will need at least a full size truck and a tandem axil trailer 16-20' long.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassesGuy View Post
Dude you really need to get a bigger truck if you want people to take you seriously. Imagine is everything to rapidly expand. If you wanna stay small then keep the setup you have. Get a 5x14 and you can fit two 48'' machines and couple 21". If you decide to get into the big leaugues than you will need at least a full size truck and a tandem axil trailer 16-20' long.
That has to be some of the worst advise I have heard in a long time. So anyone who runs trucks the size of rangers are a joke?...how aren't they being taken seriously? I see guys who run very professional lawn care businesses with 6x12 trailers, they do it full time too.

If you do "in town"/city type lots, you really don't need a full size truck with a 16'+ trailer, especially if you only plan on have one 36-48" mower and maybe a 21" on the trailer. Have you tried parking a 3/4 ton truck with an 83"x18' in the city?...I have, its not easy all the time and if most of my work were those city type lots, I would be getting a smaller truck and trailer. Just because you may need a 20' trailer and a full-size truck to run your business, doesn't mean that everybody needs that same set up.

If you really think that people who run smaller pick-ups and smaller trailer can't be taken seriously or run a lawn care business full time...you have to be an idiot.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-12-2011, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I have to agree with Mowerbrad...

Grassesguy, I doubt any homeowner judges their landscaper by their truck. If it is clean, they show up, do a good job, that is what matters!!! Going for large commercial jobs, yea, image can play a part. But if your doing 1/2 to 1/2 acre standard homes, you do not need a 16 foot trailer. There is a company here that runs 2 man crews, I think about a 6x12 open trailer and rangers, std cabs!!!! I do not think it matters. Very few of us need 1 tons for all of our work. I think buying new the F150 is a better buy as it can be had with a v8 and tow package in a work truck configuration, for less than the ranger, but I do not think you need to buy an image. 90 % of what we do could be done with a ranger. Now, field work, or large clean ups, a ranger will not do it. But for std weekly service, I bet a ranger would do fine. I would recommend this young man to not go into debt to try to impress people!!! I say he build his image by building a great company.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

To those of you that have offered me CONSTRUCTIVE advice, Thank You. To those of you that said get a bigger truck, Sorry I wish it was an option. There are too many of you almighty guys on this site that like to rag on the new or smaller guys on here. Grassesguy comes to mind since you posted on this thread but there are plenty of others. If you need to run your mouth on the internet like that to make you feel better about yourself then you're nothing better than the scumbags you guys complain about. I guess I'll NEVER be taken seriously because I bought a USED mower either, right? Or because of my 8 year old MTD pro push mower? Anyway say what you want to man I need a good laugh once in a while.

ANYWAY, I found a great deal on an open 6x12 with 2' metal sides for $1250 brand new so I think I'm going to go with that one. It's normally $1700 but it's on clearance. But, I guess it doesn't matter since I'll never be taken seriously haha.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bdconsoli good deal man dont worry about the big guys with big debts your only going to be as big as your work quality allows you remember be on time do what they ask and price appropriatly and you will be big league with a rig getting 18 + mpg and in todays fuel wars its a winner. If you dont care post pics of your setup when you get it fitted thanks
Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Keep the truck you have now, last thing you need is to finance or spend money for a full size truck when you currently have one that is working. Just make sure you keep up to date with the maintenance. Keep in mind you will put more wear and tear on the tranny once you start pulling a bigger load. I do my own so I save $$. i use a 2000 Nissan Frontier crew cab pulling a 5x8 open trailer. Now with a 36" vride I can not have my 33" & 36" on the same trailer. (Some gates will not allow the 36" through) Worked around it though, rescheduled lawn service by size of mower to be used that day. I would love to go with a larger trailer but but most subdivision I do have short curb space between neighbors. Last thing I need to do is park my truck and trailer 4-6 houses down from where I am working.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Flatop have you considered cutting the front rail and building a section out over the tongue to add about 12'' of trailer space to your trailer without adding any length overall also consider if that isnt enough room you can add more length to the rear to total a 10' trailer . its the same axle location on a 8' and a 10' trailer just a few ways to add size without adding alot of $ to your rig. if your not a concern with hauling them togather i was just talking ,hope a good year to ya
Old 03-17-2011, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good trailer. You do what you need to do. Be safe buddy
Old 03-17-2011, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

The distance from the axle to the gate is the same on the 8 and 10s. They add the length in front of the axle to make it 10'. They add length behind the axle on the 12s.