Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2011, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the extra 2ft. You will be happy you did. I have an 18ft now and I wish I had a 20ft
Old 03-02-2011, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Man with only five accounts there is no need for a walker u should have bought a used 48 witha velke. For now u do not need a larger trailer letalone an enclosed trailer . Ur gonna put urself in thehole before u can even get a good start for the first few years use used equipment until you start to pu accounts and turn some profit..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2011, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesimoes2 View Post
How do turn on a residential area with a 20’’ trailer
Turn the steering wheel and push the gas pedal.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
It's nice to have all the biggest and best of everything, but with only 5 residential accounts I doubt you have the cash flow to buy a large trailer. Taking on debt is what kills a business.

Is you truck and trailer bursting at the seems now with equipement?

Then why make the jump to another trailer, on just because you might afford it?

I appreciate the business advice and I completely understand what you are talking about too much debt. As of now I only have debt on my 1996 1/2 ton pickup as I worked hard doing landscape designs, installs and of course, mowing lawns during 2010 to purchase more equipment as I grow. I was able to save for a reliable and professional Walker GHS mower and paid cash for the mower. The trailer in question is $3800 minus my trailer $1350 so I am left paying $2450, which I don't think that is too bad. I think I am going about the business in a smart and strategic way and am investing in myself. In order to grow I will need to take these risks even though they are low risk. We are not talking about a $35,000 pickup, $6,000 trailer, $14,000 mower and other such amenities. I am simply buying smart by buying good used commercial equipment to look as professional, if not more professional, as I can in my area.

Thanks for the advise.

-John
Old 03-02-2011, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It all depends how much you want to grow. We had a 16ft enclosed for a couple seasons and we outgrew it in a season. Our 24ft gets tight from time to time, we can fit a 36" w/b, a 48" w/b and a rider with bagging system end to end with about 5ft to spare but its almost too long in most areas. I would go with either a 18 or 20ft.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 03-04-2011, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesimoes2 View Post
How do turn on a residential area with a 20’’ trailer
I have used a 20' enclosed trailer since 1998 and never had a problem turning it around any dead ends or circles. One thing to remember if your going to pull the trailer with a dump truck you have to order the trailer with a extended hitch. Usually a foot longer than a trailer made to be pulled by a pickup truck. Reason for this is so when you make a tight turn the dump body does not crush into the corner of the trailer. Also a 20' will give you room to grow into. I have a small work bench and tool box in the front of mine, racks that hold spare tools, saws, oil etc. and still have room for 3 zero turns. It was definitely my best investment.
2004 F-550 6.0 Diesel, Dump, XLT 4x4, Western Plow
20' Enclosed Trailer
24' Tilt Deck Trailer
Kubota L35 T/L/B
2 -Scag Turf Tiger's 61"
Hustler Super Z 60" XR-7
Snapper Pro Hydro 62"
Hustler 48" Hydro Trimstar
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl Straight Shaft Trimmers
Giant-Vac Leaf Loader
Old 03-04-2011, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry. But with only 5 current residential accounts, maybe 5 more and maybe a commercial? This is really putting the cart before the horse. The fuel just to pull that big a trailer isn't even covered by your current accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-14-2011, 03:02 AM
LawnSite Member

the dif in price for two feet is a joke. any given day on craigslist you will find a 18 foot for less then a 16 and vis vers just get what you want keep in mind more gas to pull bigger trailer
Old 03-14-2011, 05:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid MOwer View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses thus far.

I only had 5 residential accounts during the 2010 season. I hope to acquire at least 5 more residential clients and potentially try at a commercial job but not exactly sure how to go about bidding and so on, which is why I am not sure what size trailer to go with. Right now I think 16' will work fine but if I keep growing I wonder if 18' would be best.
If you only had 5 last year and plan to only have 10 this year, I wouldn't be looking at buying a trailer or trading in my truck. I'm not trying to discourage you, but look at it realistically. If you buy these two large items, what does it do to your profit margin? Assuming $50-60 per week per yard, that's 1800 per yard and a total gross of 9000 (hopefully) 18000 this year from mowing. At 18000, if you pay cash for a 16' trailer, you're looking at 4-6k. A decent 250 will set you back 20k in Cincinnati. That's a minimum of 24k for a new trailer and truck. Can you afford to lose $4000 in order to have newer used equipment.

I applaud your looking for an expansion plan, but caution you to be very careful about the finances. A better idea may be to come up with the plan, then how to implement it over a number of years. Maybe save $1000 from the gross for "future equipment".

Your next argument may be about payments and low interest. What happens if you do not land 5 more residential accounts? You're back to 9k gross. A decent used rate loan on 20k gets you a $400/mo payment. Trailers typically don't get a 60month loan like an auto. You may be looking at an $300/mo payment on a $4000 trailer. Now your annual payments are $8400, leaving you only $600 to operate the business (before insurance, gas, liscencing etc.)

Again, I applaud your vision of the future. Take it one step at a time...

Low overhead is king.

Celebrating America one yard at a time!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I'm sorry. But with only 5 current residential accounts, maybe 5 more and maybe a commercial? This is really putting the cart before the horse. The fuel just to pull that big a trailer isn't even covered by your current accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
You and I think a lot alike...

Something about great minds...

Low overhead is king.

Celebrating America one yard at a time!!!

Tags
16' , 18' , enclosed trailer , trailer , website