Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2011, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume this is a young new guy wanting to have equipment like the big boys that he doesn't need. With 5 accounts and maybe 5 more this year doesn't justify a new 16 ft trailer. Also with just a Walker and 21" you don't need that much. You will eav yourself very little room if any for profit. If you think you MUST have a new trailer buy a used 12 or 14 ft for 600-800 and save your money.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was like you when I started off, always wanted big things and flashy things to look professional in front of customers. The work you do will be more professional than your truck and trailers. Why don't you just beat the hell out of that 1996 truck? Cars/trucks are the worst investment you can ever have.
Complete lawn care services
Old 03-14-2011, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some guys think to be successful you should do things on a large scale. Talk big, look big, act big and unfortunately in this business probably have nothing more to show for it than big debt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2011, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of the info and suggestions on what to look for in an enclosed trailer and the suggestions on why not to buy an enclosed trailer. I forgot to mention that most of my work is from landscape design and install jobs, however, I stressed lawn care in my first post and never mentioned the landscape side of things. Financially I am fine but I am obviously wanting more lawn care clients to balance my business portfolio. I mentioned purchasing a "new" f250 probably a 2006 or older to haul heavy loads of soil, stone, blocks, gravel etc. but I think I am going to wait a while and see how things go in 2011. As for my pickup goes, I currently have to rent an F250 for most of my landscape design install projects because the rental place won't let me use the dump beds, skid steers and such due to my small 1500 pickup (cutting into profits big time).

As for the enclosed trailer, I went ahead and purchased a brand new 2010 model at 16' x 8'. I sold my open trailer for what I paid for it and the difference on the new enclosed was only $2400. I spent 30-40min in Photoshop playing around with different graphics and text before I'll commit to something. Let me know what you think.

Thanks again
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2011, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid MOwer View Post
Thanks for all of the info and suggestions on what to look for in an enclosed trailer and the suggestions on why not to buy an enclosed trailer. I forgot to mention that most of my work is from landscape design and install jobs, however, I stressed lawn care in my first post and never mentioned the landscape side of things. Financially I am fine but I am obviously wanting more lawn care clients to balance my business portfolio. I mentioned purchasing a "new" f250 probably a 2006 or older to haul heavy loads of soil, stone, blocks, gravel etc. but I think I am going to wait a while and see how things go in 2011. As for my pickup goes, I currently have to rent an F250 for most of my landscape design install projects because the rental place won't let me use the dump beds, skid steers and such due to my small 1500 pickup (cutting into profits big time).

As for the enclosed trailer, I went ahead and purchased a brand new 2010 model at 16' x 8'. I sold my open trailer for what I paid for it and the difference on the new enclosed was only $2400. I spent 30-40min in Photoshop playing around with different graphics and text before I'll commit to something. Let me know what you think.

Thanks again
Congrats on the purchase! The graphics will look great when you edit out the Walker mower, lol.

Tags
16' , 18' , enclosed trailer , trailer , website