Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Gravely
User Name
Password
Home Gravely.com Parts Find a Dealer About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Thumbs up Gravely Tracking - trying to keep it straight!

I have recently acquired a 2002 Gravely 48 - LOVE IT! The twin-15 Kawi starts beautifully, the cut is perfect!
I am having a slight issue with tracking; my machine tends to track either left or right (even on pavement tests
without any bumping from uneven ground etc.). The operation manual and my dealer states tracking issues are
handled by changing air pressure in the tires based on the direction (increasing or decreasing respective to direction).
I have played around with altering pressures per the manual, however this does not appear to be solving the problem.
Looking for some advice -

FYI - brake and clutch adjustments appear to be within specs.

Can't keep it straight in CT!
Old 07-07-2002, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

The information you got is Right. Try to Measure Distance around your Tire and make sure you come up with the same Number for Both Tires. My Scag did the same thing now I run one Tire just a little Lower than the other.

Good Luck.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

gravely tracking

I have the 2002 ZT1842 and I was having the same problem that you were. I jacked up the rear and ajusted the linkages on both sides of the trany until bothe control levers were even and most of the freeplay was out, and now it tracks straight. Now can anyone tell me why i'm tearing out hunks of grass and dirt when I do 360's. Toymaker
Old 09-12-2002, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JJOHN22042
The information you got is Right. Try to Measure Distance around your Tire and make sure you come up with the same Number for Both Tires. My Scag did the same thing now I run one Tire just a little Lower than the other.Good Luck.
I've found a simple and accurate way to check tire diameter is just put a piece of duct tape or a similar marking tape on the tread of each tire. Then run the machine "forcing it" to go straight. Check the alignment of the tape on each wheel at the end of 100 feet or so. If the tape markings stay lined up your tires are the exact same. If the tape marks move, the tape that is further in front of the other needs air. Or, the tire thatís tape is behind the other needs less air.
Pete
Closed Thread