Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2011, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting a Groupon Deal

Im seriously thinking about doing this as far as mulch delivery for the spring. Anyone else every thought of this and if so how did it work. I think it would be a great way to advertise and get some good leads. A normal delivery is between 45-50 If they get me say 50 customers and I can do the delivery for 25 I would be in fine shape on making a profit running mulch all day for a week or so. Thoughts, Ideas, Suggestions?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

sounds good to me.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just to let you know, Groupon declines over 70% of the businesses that apply, you have to appeal to the ENTIRE AREA, which many businesses do not.

Not sure if you already know this, but the way it works is as follows... Say the consumer buys $50 worth of services for $25, Groupon keeps between 50%-55% of the $25 and you get the rest...

I've never seen lawn care on Groupon, it usually caters to restaurants and services with fixed expenses where an additional sale is "gravy".... Let us know how it works...
Old 03-02-2011, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowingMowingMowing View Post
Just to let you know, Groupon declines over 70% of the businesses that apply, you have to appeal to the ENTIRE AREA, which many businesses do not.

Not sure if you already know this, but the way it works is as follows... Say the consumer buys $50 worth of services for $25, Groupon keeps between 50%-55% of the $25 and you get the rest...

I've never seen lawn care on Groupon, it usually caters to restaurants and services with fixed expenses where an additional sale is "gravy".... Let us know how it works...
so basicly you made aprox $12.50????
I saw one for a landscaper on angie's list.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Damn I didn't know that. I knew they took a cut but not 50% jeeze!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2011, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There was a landscaper deal on Groupon here the other day. $50 bucks of landscaping for $25.

They take just over 50% of your cut, so the landscaper did 50 bucks worth of work for around 11 bucks. It looks like when I looked at it he had sold about 30 deals. I have heard of small businesses going out of business because of groupon and the response they got.
Greensboro NC
Old 03-04-2011, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

geo proximity?

Groupon supposedly drives a Ton of new business to advertisers....

If you have a maintenance business.... (does it work equally as effectively with design/build service?)

And enough business to cover the geographic area...

It's an interesting idea. Timing it for the spring weather break when people get out of their cabins... may give you a serious boost in new clients.

Serious question: What is the worst that can happen to you? (if you can't service the customers? can Groupon slap you on the wrist or just lose your brand quality to clients you would never have anyways?)
Old 03-04-2011, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

maintenance or d/b service for Groupon

Groupon supposedly drives a Ton of new business to advertisers....

If you have a maintenance business.... (does it work equally as effectively with design/build service?)

And enough business to cover the geographic area...

It's an interesting idea. Timing it for the spring weather break when people get out of their cabins... may give you a serious boost in new clients.

Serious question: What is the worst that can happen to you? (if you can't service the customers? can Groupon slap you on the wrist or just lose your brand quality to clients you would never have anyways?)
Old 03-05-2011, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am wondering why these companies did not make it? could you post the article please orprovide more detail info?

Thx
Old 03-05-2011, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently in talks with Groupon and it looks like they want to feature me within the next few weeks. I will not be making money off the coupons sold, but I should be able to cover expense. I look at as a marketing expense. Thousands of subscribers will see my name even if they don't buy a coupon. Then out of the folks that do buy, I should expect about a 20% retention/call back rate.

I was worried about selling too many coupons, so we have capped it at 150. Out of that 150 about 20% will redeem within the first month. 60% should trickle in within the next 6 months, and 15-20% never redeem the coupon all.

As far as Groupon's cut, it is about 33% for the deals I have offered.

I am pretty excited to get in on the deal and feel my application timing was perfect. They just came to my market so I was probably one of the first applicants. Plus with spring right around the corner, they want to have a landscape deal sooner than later.

Pair this with my 5000 postcards going out this month, I hope to be a busy man...fingers crossed!