Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Whos got a Stand-on

If you have a Toro Grand Stand, Exmark Vantage or Scag V Ride.. Give your input pros/cons.. and how many fit on the trailer.. These mowers are new to my area and would appericate your opinion
Old 03-02-2011, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Rivers View Post
If you have a Toro Grand Stand, Exmark Vantage or Scag V Ride.. Give your input pros/cons.. and how many fit on the trailer.. These mowers are new to my area and would appericate your opinion
I picked up Scag V-ride last week. It has taken some getting used to but I have pretty much mastered the controls (never driven a zero turn until last week). The front end will pop up when I load it on the trailer if I am standing on it. I just walk behind it and load it. It seems really solid and look forward to cutting some of my larger properties with it soon.
36" Scag V-Ride
33" 760 ES Cub Cadet(backup)
22" Toro Self Propelled
21" Push Yard Machine
Stihl Kombi 110 with curved edger
Stihl Kombi 90 with straight shaft trimmer
Echo String Trimmer (backup)
Echo HH Blower
McLean Edger(backup)

http://baytownlawncare.com
Old 03-02-2011, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I picked up my 48" v ride last week and love it. I back mine onto the trailer makes loading and unloading easier
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2011, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

got my 36 inch v ride last week for back yards with small gates. yes it will pop the front wheels up when loading, we just back ours on to the truck each time.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Great tips....I just bought a 48" V-Ride last week, but havent taken possession yet. I hadn't thought about backing it onto the trailer but I will certainly give it a try.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 48 Grandstand . Small footprint with the fold up platform. Only way to go for smaller lawns and versatility on hills and around ditches. I used to have an Exmark TTHP WB with a Proslide. I would never go back to a WB or a sulkie or a Proslide.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have 3 GS's right now have had 4 and 3 Wrights, 1 Great Dane and 1 JD Quik Trac. Only way to fly for 3 acres and under in this area.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I have used the 2 Grandstands in our fleet for the past two seasons. Love them. Have two more on order. We can fit a 52" GS, 48" GS, a 48" Walker, and 2 Toro push mowers on a 16' landscape bed truck. You should be able to put at least three GS on an average trailer.

I have used both Grandstands & V-Rides. They both cut excellent. V-Rides are faster but more suited for a fleet mower. I prefer the Grandstands for their operator comfort. Either or would be a great investment. Try them all out for yourself to see which one best suites your needs. From my experience I think the stand-ons are here to stay.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've always been a walk-behind type of guy and still think for smaller residential applications they are unbeatable. But, last year I bought an Exmark Vantage (52", 24hp) and have been very pleased.

Just like you would expect they bridge the gap between wb's and sit down ztr's. Cut quality is excellent although I do wish the 52" had available anti-scalp wheels. The comfort is the main reason I switched, I was getting too tired with the wb's and beaten up on the riders. My back pain has virtually been eliminated. Also, the weight is pretty good in that it doesn't sink in too much.

Exmark advertises that you can use the vantage as a walk-behind by folding the platform up. You can, but traction suffers dramatically. When standing on it the hillside stability is very good. My main complaints are that it doesn't stripe as well as I would have hoped, it's a bit of a gas hog with the 24hp kawasaki, and the bagging options aren't great (although no worse than a walk-behind).

Overall I like the stander-style machine, especially if you have a bad back. My Exmark was around $7k out the door. I consider it a good value compared to a full-featured rider and am happy with it overall.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bump for more responses..... Whats better The Grandstand or Vantage?