Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2011, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my Toro GS. It is so much faster and easier to turn than my WB. It is also a much more comfortable ride. I thought rutting would be an issue, but it is not. With the wide tires, it is not any worse than my WB. After mowing most of my yards with it, there is only one thing my WB has an advantage over the GS, hills. The GS does handle most of the hills well, but there are some that are simply too much for it. Because of this I find myself doing a little more trim work with a pushmower on some properties.
Toro super recycler
Husky trimmers
Echo trimmers
Husky BP blower
DR commercial brushmower-17HP Kaw/30" deck
Echo stick edger
Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 F-150 Supercrew
Old 04-22-2011, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
After mowing most of my yards with it, there is only one thing my WB has an advantage over the GS, hills. The GS does handle most of the hills well, but there are some that are simply too much for it. Because of this I find myself doing a little more trim work with a pushmower on some properties.
That is too funny because I use my Grandstand on hills that I am afraid to go on with my Lazer Z. I replaced my WB with the Grandstand and like it better on hills than the walk behind. I dont even use or carry a push mower. Oh well.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
The GS does handle most of the hills well, but there are some that are simply too much for it. Because of this I find myself doing a little more trim work with a pushmower on some properties.
Well put! Going in two my 3rd season with our fleet of Grandstands and we feel comfortable enough to take on most hills. There are some hills where we all should realize that they all just too steep and dangerous to be riding on. Also turf on these types of hills are regularly damaged by those trying to cut corners and use the wrong piece of equipment on them.

The GS's will do more than you may feel comfortable doing but that is a good thing. They definitely for us do more hills than a typical mid mount Lazer Z would. For all the large hills that the GS can't handle and are just too large of an area to push mow or string trim we use our Walker Super B. I swear it must have some mountain goat in it's DNA. But for those who still want to live live dangerously... here are a few tips on how to effectively use a GS on hills. First always have an exit strategy should you find yourself getting into trouble. Second, always stand on the platform and shift your weight to the uphill side to get more pressure to the top tire that want's to slip. Third, mow from the bottom of the hill and work your way up aways turning up hill (like a lazer once you turn downhill you lose your traction). Last but certainly most important, know when is when! Don't be ridiculous! There are times when you just need to use a push mower or string trimmer.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I ordered a John Deere Quik Trak, 48"-22hp. It should be coming in within the next week or two. While it is one of the larger stand-on mowers, I'm used to a full-size JD ztr with bagging system, so to me it will be very compact and work much better on smaller properties. I've demoed a quik-trak before and it met all my expectations and exceeded them too.

Sorry I can't comment on the particular brands you are looking at.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-23-2011, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Joe, you forgot option 5. While on the platform take your other foot and swing it around to put it on the top of the front wheel... now your surfing.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 04-23-2011, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
I ordered a John Deere Quik Trak, 48"-22hp. It should be coming in within the next week or two. While it is one of the larger stand-on mowers, I'm used to a full-size JD ztr with bagging system, so to me it will be very compact and work much better on smaller properties. I've demoed a quik-trak before and it met all my expectations and exceeded them too.

Sorry I can't comment on the particular brands you are looking at.
HI used to have a John deere 667... The guys hated it because the controls were different opposed to a ztr but it wasn't bad and cut very well!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2011, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just picked up our 2011 Grand Stand last week. Used it the first time on a residential lot and then used it on a huge field. I'm not going to push it just yet. Going to get more comfortable with it before I try to do a couple of hills that are tricky. But ultimately I LOVE the mower.

The Turbo Force deck is awesome and cuts cleanly at full power. I think we're convinced that the GS was sent to us to replace our rider. We have a subcompact (Series 300Z) and the GS is very comparable to the ZTR on cutting speed. One of the other things that convinced us to go with the GS is the single deck that Toro uses for almost ALL their mowers. The other was price. There was only about a $500 price difference between the GS and a WB.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 04-23-2011, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphied View Post
That is too funny because I use my Grandstand on hills that I am afraid to go on with my Lazer Z. I replaced my WB with the Grandstand and like it better on hills than the walk behind. I dont even use or carry a push mower. Oh well.
It is quite hard to operate without a pushmower on your trailer in western PA. The GS for what it is, does very well on most hills. But there are plenty of steep grades that I encounter where the GS could not be operated safely on them. My WB is a much safer choice for these areas.
Toro super recycler
Husky trimmers
Echo trimmers
Husky BP blower
DR commercial brushmower-17HP Kaw/30" deck
Echo stick edger
Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 F-150 Supercrew
Old 04-23-2011, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttin-to-the-Max View Post
HI used to have a John deere 667... The guys hated it because the controls were different opposed to a ztr but it wasn't bad and cut very well!
Posted via Mobile Device
Just curious, how did they find the controls to be different? The controls really are the same as a ztr, just on a smaller scale. Obviously the position you are in while mowing (standing) is different from what a lot of people are used to, but really the controls (I found) to be the same...you push the levers forward, you go forward...you pull the levers back, you go backward.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-23-2011, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
Just curious, how did they find the controls to be different? The controls really are the same as a ztr, just on a smaller scale. Obviously the position you are in while mowing (standing) is different from what a lot of people are used to, but really the controls (I found) to be the same...you push the levers forward, you go forward...you pull the levers back, you go backward.
They are just shaky on the controls... I really dont know why they are but im the only one who uses the stander.. Im the owner and one of the full time operators also so it doesnt bother me letting them use the ZTR While i use the stander.
If you have a stander you will know its a type of difference in controls you cant explain. It took be about a hour to get used to the controls but thats just me....
On my JD 667 if you pushed the controls one inch it flys! So they end up tearing more grass up then they cut.... While me 14 year old worker can handle this mower like a pro. Pathetic!