Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-22-2011, 09:52 PM
lawnkingforever's Avatar
lawnkingforever lawnkingforever is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,186
I love my Toro GS. It is so much faster and easier to turn than my WB. It is also a much more comfortable ride. I thought rutting would be an issue, but it is not. With the wide tires, it is not any worse than my WB. After mowing most of my yards with it, there is only one thing my WB has an advantage over the GS, hills. The GS does handle most of the hills well, but there are some that are simply too much for it. Because of this I find myself doing a little more trim work with a pushmower on some properties.
__________________
6X12 trailer
2009 TORO GRANDSTAND
Ferris 48
Toro super recycler
Husky trimmers
Echo trimmers
Husky BP blower
DR commercial brushmower-17HP Kaw/30" deck
Echo stick edger
Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 F-150 Supercrew
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-22-2011, 11:11 PM
delphied delphied is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Flint Michigan
Posts: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
After mowing most of my yards with it, there is only one thing my WB has an advantage over the GS, hills. The GS does handle most of the hills well, but there are some that are simply too much for it. Because of this I find myself doing a little more trim work with a pushmower on some properties.
That is too funny because I use my Grandstand on hills that I am afraid to go on with my Lazer Z. I replaced my WB with the Grandstand and like it better on hills than the walk behind. I dont even use or carry a push mower. Oh well.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-23-2011, 09:54 AM
joemower joemower is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lothian, Maryland
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
The GS does handle most of the hills well, but there are some that are simply too much for it. Because of this I find myself doing a little more trim work with a pushmower on some properties.
Well put! Going in two my 3rd season with our fleet of Grandstands and we feel comfortable enough to take on most hills. There are some hills where we all should realize that they all just too steep and dangerous to be riding on. Also turf on these types of hills are regularly damaged by those trying to cut corners and use the wrong piece of equipment on them.

The GS's will do more than you may feel comfortable doing but that is a good thing. They definitely for us do more hills than a typical mid mount Lazer Z would. For all the large hills that the GS can't handle and are just too large of an area to push mow or string trim we use our Walker Super B. I swear it must have some mountain goat in it's DNA. But for those who still want to live live dangerously... here are a few tips on how to effectively use a GS on hills. First always have an exit strategy should you find yourself getting into trouble. Second, always stand on the platform and shift your weight to the uphill side to get more pressure to the top tire that want's to slip. Third, mow from the bottom of the hill and work your way up aways turning up hill (like a lazer once you turn downhill you lose your traction). Last but certainly most important, know when is when! Don't be ridiculous! There are times when you just need to use a push mower or string trimmer.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-23-2011, 10:52 AM
mowerbrad's Avatar
mowerbrad mowerbrad is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan
Posts: 6,269
I ordered a John Deere Quik Trak, 48"-22hp. It should be coming in within the next week or two. While it is one of the larger stand-on mowers, I'm used to a full-size JD ztr with bagging system, so to me it will be very compact and work much better on smaller properties. I've demoed a quik-trak before and it met all my expectations and exceeded them too.

Sorry I can't comment on the particular brands you are looking at.
__________________
'07 Chevy 2500HD
2010 John Deere Z925A 54" MOD
2011 John Deere Quik Trak 647A
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-23-2011, 12:23 PM
BestImpressions99 BestImpressions99 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle East TN
Posts: 491
Joe, you forgot option 5. While on the platform take your other foot and swing it around to put it on the top of the front wheel... now your surfing.
__________________
Best Impressions Lawn Care - est. 1998
2 operations in different cities (Expansion is awesome)
48" Grandstand and 52" Stander X
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-23-2011, 12:28 PM
cuttin-to-the-Max cuttin-to-the-Max is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Commerce,MI
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
I ordered a John Deere Quik Trak, 48"-22hp. It should be coming in within the next week or two. While it is one of the larger stand-on mowers, I'm used to a full-size JD ztr with bagging system, so to me it will be very compact and work much better on smaller properties. I've demoed a quik-trak before and it met all my expectations and exceeded them too.

Sorry I can't comment on the particular brands you are looking at.
HI used to have a John deere 667... The guys hated it because the controls were different opposed to a ztr but it wasn't bad and cut very well!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-23-2011, 12:31 PM
BestImpressions99 BestImpressions99 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle East TN
Posts: 491
Just picked up our 2011 Grand Stand last week. Used it the first time on a residential lot and then used it on a huge field. I'm not going to push it just yet. Going to get more comfortable with it before I try to do a couple of hills that are tricky. But ultimately I LOVE the mower.

The Turbo Force deck is awesome and cuts cleanly at full power. I think we're convinced that the GS was sent to us to replace our rider. We have a subcompact (Series 300Z) and the GS is very comparable to the ZTR on cutting speed. One of the other things that convinced us to go with the GS is the single deck that Toro uses for almost ALL their mowers. The other was price. There was only about a $500 price difference between the GS and a WB.
__________________
Best Impressions Lawn Care - est. 1998
2 operations in different cities (Expansion is awesome)
48" Grandstand and 52" Stander X
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-23-2011, 02:05 PM
lawnkingforever's Avatar
lawnkingforever lawnkingforever is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphied View Post
That is too funny because I use my Grandstand on hills that I am afraid to go on with my Lazer Z. I replaced my WB with the Grandstand and like it better on hills than the walk behind. I dont even use or carry a push mower. Oh well.
It is quite hard to operate without a pushmower on your trailer in western PA. The GS for what it is, does very well on most hills. But there are plenty of steep grades that I encounter where the GS could not be operated safely on them. My WB is a much safer choice for these areas.
__________________
6X12 trailer
2009 TORO GRANDSTAND
Ferris 48
Toro super recycler
Husky trimmers
Echo trimmers
Husky BP blower
DR commercial brushmower-17HP Kaw/30" deck
Echo stick edger
Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 F-150 Supercrew
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-23-2011, 04:10 PM
mowerbrad's Avatar
mowerbrad mowerbrad is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan
Posts: 6,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttin-to-the-Max View Post
HI used to have a John deere 667... The guys hated it because the controls were different opposed to a ztr but it wasn't bad and cut very well!
Posted via Mobile Device
Just curious, how did they find the controls to be different? The controls really are the same as a ztr, just on a smaller scale. Obviously the position you are in while mowing (standing) is different from what a lot of people are used to, but really the controls (I found) to be the same...you push the levers forward, you go forward...you pull the levers back, you go backward.
__________________
'07 Chevy 2500HD
2010 John Deere Z925A 54" MOD
2011 John Deere Quik Trak 647A
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-23-2011, 05:38 PM
cuttin-to-the-Max cuttin-to-the-Max is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Commerce,MI
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
Just curious, how did they find the controls to be different? The controls really are the same as a ztr, just on a smaller scale. Obviously the position you are in while mowing (standing) is different from what a lot of people are used to, but really the controls (I found) to be the same...you push the levers forward, you go forward...you pull the levers back, you go backward.
They are just shaky on the controls... I really dont know why they are but im the only one who uses the stander.. Im the owner and one of the full time operators also so it doesnt bother me letting them use the ZTR While i use the stander.
If you have a stander you will know its a type of difference in controls you cant explain. It took be about a hour to get used to the controls but thats just me....
On my JD 667 if you pushed the controls one inch it flys! So they end up tearing more grass up then they cut.... While me 14 year old worker can handle this mower like a pro. Pathetic!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:55 PM.

Page generated in 0.11159 seconds with 7 queries