Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2011, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive got 2 wright stander fixed deck 52 inch. Had them for almost 4 years now. Just picked up a new v-ride 52 inch to replace the older stander. Stander is shorter, lighter, and a bit more maneuverable, but the v-ride has them beat with cut quality and speed. Comfort is better too, but it feels heavier when turning. Ive only had it less than 2 weeks now so I am just getting used to it. I can move the stander around just like I am walking a yard...

The only reason I didn't get another stander is that the dealer for wright in our area is no more. I wanted the zk when I demo'd it when it first came out, but alas, no dealer in this area within a reasonable distance.

I demo'd both the Grandstand and the v-ride and found the cut to be better on the v-ride but the Grandstand was smoother to operate.
Greensboro NC
Old 04-23-2011, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemower View Post
Well put! Going in two my 3rd season with our fleet of Grandstands and we feel comfortable enough to take on most hills. There are some hills where we all should realize that they all just too steep and dangerous to be riding on. Also turf on these types of hills are regularly damaged by those trying to cut corners and use the wrong piece of equipment on them.

The GS's will do more than you may feel comfortable doing but that is a good thing. They definitely for us do more hills than a typical mid mount Lazer Z would. For all the large hills that the GS can't handle and are just too large of an area to push mow or string trim we use our Walker Super B. I swear it must have some mountain goat in it's DNA. But for those who still want to live live dangerously... here are a few tips on how to effectively use a GS on hills. First always have an exit strategy should you find yourself getting into trouble. Second, always stand on the platform and shift your weight to the uphill side to get more pressure to the top tire that want's to slip. Third, mow from the bottom of the hill and work your way up aways turning up hill (like a lazer once you turn downhill you lose your traction). Last but certainly most important, know when is when! Don't be ridiculous! There are times when you just need to use a push mower or string trimmer.
For several years I've used a TTHP with Proslide. I like this set up because I can step off and walk when needed. Can you step off and walk behind the GS? Thanks.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

of course everyone has there opinions for there own conditions. i do like one thing about wrights and that is the even placement of the castor wheels and the sides of the deck. almost impossible to scalp with at higher cutting.

the toro has a trim side that is more exposed which is very helpful, but makes it easier to scalp with on that side.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 52" Exmark, and I really like it. I haven't found many things that I don't like about it. Leaves a superior cut, cuts fast, and is nice and smooth to operate.
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 04-24-2011, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Member

For all the great things I've heard about Turbo Force decks, how come I hear a lot of you guys with the Grandstands saying they don't stripe well? I am looking to buy a Grandstand soon, but I really hate to think I'm gonna have to either make my own stripe kit or buy one from Toro.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regl View Post
For several years I've used a TTHP with Proslide. I like this set up because I can step off and walk when needed. Can you step off and walk behind the GS? Thanks.
I had the same set up. I replaced it with the GS. I would never ever go back to a Proslide. The TTHP would spin out on wet grass or extremely dry grass. I banged my shins occasionally. The GS leaves a nicer cut. You can step off the GS and use a WB but you seldom need to. Im not touting Toro but I am touting stand ons. They are great compared to even the best WB.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Grandstand

I've had a 48" GS since they came out and just recently purchased another 48" w/24hp motor and a 36" all have the OCDC. I have been happy the first 48" and very impressed by the 36" speed and maneuverability. I could not imagine going back to a walk behind or even back to the Scag tiger cub rider I started out with. The tiger cub used to beat the crap out of my back and hips.

I have a 16' enclosed trailr with 2 x 48" and one 36" on board with plenty of room for everything out. I know there is a striping kit available but don't really see the need.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjones View Post
For all the great things I've heard about Turbo Force decks, how come I hear a lot of you guys with the Grandstands saying they don't stripe well? I am looking to buy a Grandstand soon, but I really hate to think I'm gonna have to either make my own stripe kit or buy one from Toro.
No worries! Go ahead and buy that mower.I think the Grandstands stripe well and I'm I guy who has used Walkers for over 20 years. You won't need a stripe kit.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjones View Post
no idea, we cut cool season here and it stripes great all by itself. very nice in fact.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
no idea, we cut cool season here and it stripes great all by itself. very nice in fact.
Thanks joemower and grassman......most grasses here are fescues, ryes, and some bluegrass.....i like a nice stripe and glad to hear the grandstands do a nice job.