Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2011, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Dry Stack Stone Fire Pit?

Forgive my ignorance. I've never been asked to build a fire pit so I'm not familiar with what exactly can be done.

Is there any reason why a dry stacked natural stone fire pit is a problem? I was planning on using basalt.

The wall would be tight with no major gaps so I don't think wind would be an issue.

Just curious if the stone can handle the heat of the fire?

Would I need to use a metal insert or anything like that?

Also what is the best way to bond the cap stones considering the heat?

Any input/advice would be much appreciated. I did a search and couldn't find much info on here.

thanks.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Stone is fine for dry stack fireplaces outdoors. Basalt may pop if the fire sits against it for long periods. Do a test on some pieces at home and get them worse case scenario hot. No insert is neccesary, better drainage is more important if it is below grade. Use thick cap stones for the top. At least... 3-7" thick for a 12-16" thick wall. Dry stone masonry/walling structures are flexible by design so when you introduce mortar it pulls it apart quickly over time. Take the time to shape stones, lay them level, one over two & two over one, length in and you will have a nice feature that lasts longer than your clients home will. Here is a basalt fence from a workshop in Eugene I attended last month... Have fun....
Attached Images