Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2002, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

23kaw and dusty fall conditions..???

this is my first fall with this engine on an Exhp52. I change the foam prefilter every day...yesterday I was doing a property and the dust levele were incredible....I know what the manual says on frequency of oil changes but I'd like to know after how many hours you change your oil in these fall conditions??...I dont mind doing it....its simple to do...but if I'm worrying too much then tell me...I'm also never quite confident when I look at the paper air filter....it just never seems very dirty....you can tell I am not a wrench bender...I do however like to do as much preventative maint as is needed....thanks much ...another one I forgot...is it normal to get some black emmissions on the side of my enclosed trlr wall?? I guess thats normal from starting the engine in the same spot every day but I just wanted to make sure
Old 09-15-2002, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Overservicing ?

Have you looked into adding the Donalson air filter to your Exhp52. ? I just purchased a Hustler Mini 23 Kaw 52" same motor you have, I looked at the Exmark HP 23/52 also. Both machines are IMHO excellent machines, What sold me on the Hustler was the fact that it comes with the Donalson Air filter. I asked the Exmark dealer if the filter was availiable for the Exmark and he said only as an After market item, so you can do it. It looks pretty impressive sitting high up in the air almost level with your shoulders when you sit on the machine and it is suppose to increase the performance and longevity of the motor. The manual for the Z also cautions about "overservicing air filters" and states that a little build up actually increases filter efficiency. I use to run K&N airfilters in my motorcycle and K&N also states that. The black spot is the result of a rich mixture when you choke the cold engine , perfectly normal. You sound like me, and worry about stuff like that. GOOD, I am glad im not the only one. I plan to switch to Amsoil synthectic oil and use their bypass oil filter. I have been using Synthectic in all my motors Boat, car,truck and lawn equiptment for 15 years. Im knocking on my wood deck as I type this but have never had a internal motor problem.

Thank for your ear and good luck with your Z

Dan the lawn care man
Old 09-15-2002, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dan...thanks for your perspective...can you tell me your oil change schedule?...I hear different opinions on this..thanks
Old 09-15-2002, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Some will say this is excessive and expensive, but I change O&F at 40-50 hrs. I always have extra filters, oil, belts, plugs, airfilters and a clean oiled precleaner ready to go, so there are no excuses for me to let it slide for a while. When ever I use anything, I make sure to resupply ASAP when I go past my dealer.

Dan the lawn care man
Old 09-19-2002, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I also have the lhp 52, 23 kaw. In dusty conditions, as with using the ultra vac in leaves, I change it around every 40 hrs. The oil looks too dirty for me. Changing it is a little insurance. As for the paper filter, they can get dirty real quick. I said I was getting a aftermarket donaldson type filter system for mine, well leaves are just about here and still don't have it yet. But I will definetly have it when the leaves do start to fall. I believe it will help a lot in making the machine run bettter, coler, and hopefully longer life. An added bonus is, I won't be changing the little papere filter so often.