Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2002, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

How do you incorporate Leaf removal into your pricing?

I have been cutting a 1/3 acre property with about 6 large trees (maple and oak) in the back yard and 2 large maples in the front for $40.00 per visit. Now that I have purchased a collection system for my mower I obviously want to start getting some return on my investment. The customer is very interested in having the leaves removed but what's the best way to price this out? He will have alot of leaves with the amount of trees he has. How much extra would you charge for the leaf removal and how would you do it ? Should I do it all in one visit (one large charge) or spread it out over the rest of the fall. I figure I will mow this place 4 more times (bi-weekly). Since I was charging $40 just to cut would you say (if I were to spread it out) that I should charge $65 to cut-n-bag it? I would dump the leaves/grass on his property; no hauling involved. Or should I charge $140 for my last mow which would be when I bring the bagger and do his last mowing and leaf removal. Either way I do it I get $260 in the end. I know their are alot of variables that play into this but what do you think? Is this fair and am I on the right path of thinking this out?
Old 09-15-2002, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You should have recorded the mowing only times during the year, so you should have a good average mowing time. Now you record times for mowing and cleanup, and have a perfect record of extra time needed for leaf cleanup. Charge accordingly. I generally hold minor times from Sept until the Oct billings.

Frequency: cleanup good each visit. My properties with heavy leaves are mowed shorter and more frequently to make cleanups more efficient.

Leaves here will be early this year. My indicator tree, an English walnut, usually requires extra time for leaf cleanup around Sept 5, and tree is bare by Sept 30. This year logged extra time on leaves here in Aug, and more than half of leaves were down this past Wed.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yacht

Do a search for the thread entitled:

Still Struggling with quoting a leaf removal rate....

Read the entire thread. Loads of info directly aimed at your question.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. I will read the post.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

...you will only mow 4 more times??? the last couple of years we can/shold be mowing into at least early November to keep the turf down going into winter and for the clean ups...while we'll have an early fall I'll bet we'll still have leaves to pick up in Nov...
Old 09-16-2002, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

4 more mows bi-weekly puts him into the first week of Nov. Seems like you would add the extra time plus a little more to compensate for the extra machine being used(bagger) not to mention the bagger causes the tractor to use more gas which is working the engine harder which is more wear and tear. Just a thought.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Also, take into consideration, that if you are picking up per cut, the total amount for the cleanup should EXCEED the amount for the cleanup if it was done all at once. This is accounted for not only of the neatness of the prop, but the extra time involved, and more dumps (even if smaller) as well. I just mulch into dust, and do a good thorough cleanup at the end.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Runner - Good point on the multiple visits costing a little more overall than 1 big one. Thanks
Old 09-16-2002, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I charge extra at a T&M price.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto LGF...straight T & M. And don't discount your rates, either