Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-02-2011, 07:40 PM
wyoming lawn service wyoming lawn service is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 108
Advice Seeding

Last fall I did a complete renovation on my yard. Killed everything with glyphosphate and slit seeded tall fescue blend. Fast forward to now:

I have several areas that are very thin or bare. I overseeded my yard with finelawn tall fescue. Raked in Scott's top soil in the bare areas with seed.

Where do I go from here. Questions?

I know soil temps are still below 50, so....

1) I plan on putting down Starter fertilizer with Siduron but when should I put it down?
2) Do I need to applications of siduron 30 days apart OR can I do one application and then a PRE-M 30 days later?

3) When and what should I use as a post emergant spray....

Thanks! I know what I decided to do is expensive, but I really wanted to try to get those thin areas fuller.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,819
So Wyoming, you're in Ohio?

Did you have gemination and growth last Fall?

Was it thick and full then, or did you have those bare spots all along?

How old did your new seed get b4 the ground froze?

Sand/clay/loam? Sun/shade? Rich/mineral? and is anything growing in Ohio now?
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2011, 02:23 PM
RigglePLC's Avatar
RigglePLC RigglePLC is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 9,234
Axe is right. More info needed.
I don't personally have experience with (Siduron, Tupersan)(Scotts crabgrass control for seeding). But I am thinking you could wait until the daytime high temps reached about 70 before applying the siduron. Assume the crabgrass (if untreated) would germinate at an air temp of about 80. Also take a look at the Growing Degree Days Tracker for Michigan and certain nearby areas. Based on the weather for that year, it gives you an idea when crabgrass should be treated in your area. And poa seed head emergence and more.
http://gddtracker.net/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-2011, 06:17 PM
wyoming lawn service wyoming lawn service is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
So Wyoming, you're in Ohio?

Did you have gemination and growth last Fall?

Was it thick and full then, or did you have those bare spots all along?

How old did your new seed get b4 the ground froze?

Sand/clay/loam? Sun/shade? Rich/mineral? and is anything growing in Ohio now?
I did the full TTTF renovation first last summer I think I planted last week of August. Most areas came in thick except for areas that did not get enough water.

Most of the TTTF came up nice and thick. One area under one of the bigger trees is thin (I had shoulder surgery and couldn't rake any leafs)

Back of the property is near some pines and is pretty thin but that area did not get as much water.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-03-2011, 06:28 PM
wyoming lawn service wyoming lawn service is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
So Wyoming, you're in Ohio?

Did you have gemination and growth last Fall?

Was it thick and full then, or did you have those bare spots all along?

How old did your new seed get b4 the ground froze?

Sand/clay/loam? Sun/shade? Rich/mineral? and is anything growing in Ohio now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Axe is right. More info needed.
I don't personally have experience with (Siduron, Tupersan)(Scotts crabgrass control for seeding). But I am thinking you could wait until the daytime high temps reached about 70 before applying the siduron. Assume the crabgrass (if untreated) would germinate at an air temp of about 80. Also take a look at the Growing Degree Days Tracker for Michigan and certain nearby areas. Based on the weather for that year, it gives you an idea when crabgrass should be treated in your area. And poa seed head emergence and more.
http://gddtracker.net/

I was reading from Denny Mckowen's site and he said you could dormant seed like I have and later apply Ferti-lome's All Season lawn food with Prodiamine. I am trying to figure out if it would be better to use Siduron as soon as I see germination OR apply Ferti-lome All Season lawn food with Prodiamine when the temps reach 70 degees?

Which of these sounds like the best idea or should I consider a different game plan?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-03-2011, 08:10 PM
TurnerLawn&Landscape TurnerLawn&Landscape is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fort Thoams, KY
Posts: 127
hey wyoming i'm in northern kentucky.....i would recommend just taking a rake and going over the trouble areas in order to remove any thatch and also loosen up the soil. I am working on the same type of project as we speak. i am currently waiting on soil sample results to see what amendments need to be made. you can put down dormant seed but i think thats a waste of time. i would wait until it warms up. i agree with the starter fertilizer but i would absolutely not put down any pre emerg. and put down the fert at the same time as the seed.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 PM
wyoming lawn service wyoming lawn service is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 108
Turner: I raked out all the bad areas put down scotts topsoil w/ starter and already put out my seed.

One thing I am concerned about obviously is crabgrass. Want some recommendations on what I should put down and when to deal with crabgrass. It was BAD last year. Do not want to deal with that again...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-03-2011, 08:50 PM
wyoming lawn service wyoming lawn service is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 108
Okay read the label for Ferti-lome's All Season Fertilizer with Prodiamine and it states DO NOT apply after overseeding for 60 days OR tow mowings, whichever is greater.

So I guess I answered my question. Crabgrass according to the label normally germinates around May 10 depending upon weather.

Looks like I will wait to see what kind of germination I get. Put down the starter with Siduron at a later date and try to time it so I can get 30 days of coverage with one Siduron application and then put down the Prodiamine. Might be a guessing game....aww waiting for grass to grow, FUN!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-04-2011, 09:15 AM
RigglePLC's Avatar
RigglePLC RigglePLC is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 9,234
Wyoming,
see, reading the label fine print is a good thing. You are correct, in your plan. Crabgrass is a bear. Plan your moves carefully. Sock down the Siduron 7 days in advance of crabgrass germination. Apply the Prodiamine after the second mowing. If weather is normal and nothing goes wrong--you should be fine. Just make sure it doesn't rain on the day you plan to do the work. You sound like a perfectionist--a top engineer for NASA, I am thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming lawn service View Post
Okay read the label for Ferti-lome's All Season Fertilizer with Prodiamine and it states DO NOT apply after overseeding for 60 days OR tow mowings, whichever is greater.

So I guess I answered my question. Crabgrass according to the label normally germinates around May 10 depending upon weather.

Looks like I will wait to see what kind of germination I get. Put down the starter with Siduron at a later date and try to time it so I can get 30 days of coverage with one Siduron application and then put down the Prodiamine. Might be a guessing game....aww waiting for grass to grow, FUN!
A label that tells you when CG will germinate... May 10th... wow... We are lucky to get cool season grasses to germinate by the end of May sometimes... Sometimes they'll pop by May 1st...
Hardly ever get CG here, even in open tilled garden soil, with full sun all day long b4 June...

You are able to get fert without herbicides, and herbicides without ferts, aren't you?

Bottom line is if you are scared to grow the grass b4 CG comes in then definately use a grass friendly Pre-m... Itis expensive maybe the only only reason not to use it...

I guess it works OK, but I never have used it myself...
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 PM.

Page generated in 0.10919 seconds with 7 queries