Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2011, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Should I try for more?

Hello All:

I would like to have others opinions, thoughts, or own experiences regarding a few questions I have.

Most of my business comes from my mowing services. I am slowly looking to change that. I have had my CT Supervisors License for 2 years now, and out of the 45 or so proerties that I service I currently do a full fertilzer and pest control on about 6 or 7 of them. I find this section of my business to be the most interesting, and also have the most potential. I have thought eventually to become a turf care only company and eventually phase out mowing over time. I go to college right now for Horticulture.

Here are my concerns:

Like I said I service around 6 of my customers and have had very good results. I have been pretty happy with the results and have not had any complaints from customers. A few have even commented that I do a very good job. I have been doing four apps with one being Allectus for Grubs and Surface insects. I also spot spray weeds with a backpack sprayer. I would like to expand this section of my business, but I am leary. I would like to add those mentioned services to a newspaper ad that I am putting in a local paper. My concerns are do I seem qualified enough to be pushing these services? Was anyone else in the same boat as I am and just jumped in head first? Just because I have a lisence does not mean I know everything. I still have alot to learn. Should I learn more on new customers lawns, or should I keep with my existing 6 for not and learn more?

I appreciate anyones thoughts opinions, or experiences

Connecticut Pesticide Supervisor License

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
2011 Ferris DD Comfort Control 52
2009 Kubota ZG227 27 H.P. 54"
2008 48 Scag Belt Driven WB with a 17 kawi
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 03-02-2011, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I am on the same boat you are. I've had some customers now going on 10 years and have about 60-70 total, treat most of those, plus treat about 15-20 that we don't maintain. Went to school for hort, worked for a landscape company as a manager for 2.5 years and was still doing mine on the side on fridays.

I started the fert and squirt side of the business Feb of 09 and also found that it was a heck of a lot more profitable than maintenance. You don't have to have anyone to help you, don't have to pay anyone, no insurance liability out there walking around, etc...

I've thought about cutting back on maint. accounts and keeping the people who don't have a hard time paying, and the once a week accounts and drop the PITA accounts.

This week, I've been bombarded with sod job installations and it's putting us behind on pine straw and renewal/winter pruning. WHERE WERE THESE PEOPLE IN JANUARY!?!?!?

But on the other hand, I look as it an I am well diversified in everything. Maintenance is wide open a little bit starting in March through leaf pick up in December. Plus fert and squirt from Feb-Dec.

Darned if you do, darned if you don't...
Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think we are on the same boat, you have way more work than I do.

I guess my question to lawnsite members is when did you start pushing your services? Did you try to learn on the job or were you confident enough already? No one is ever done learning though.

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 03-02-2011, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

You're right. No one can learn too much about anything. I probably could have tried to go full time with mine when I got out of school, but that was August (going in to fall/winter) and that wouldn't have been a good idea. I had a classmate/friend of mine do it and he said he went overboard on buying stuff going in to the slow part of the season.

I also did want to learn more about it, even though I have been doing it since I was about 12-13 just "cutting yards" around the neighborhood. I also wanted to learn more about people.

The company that I chose to work for floated me around crews that would eventually become the crews I managed and more also got added to me later on.

I learned more about irrigation, chemicals, chemical apps, and still had questions about chemicals and applying them when I started fert and squirt.

I also did an internship with The Brickman Group summer of 03 that really took me to a higher level as far as maintenance.

What are you in college for? Hort?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah Im going to school for Hort. I am taking a turfgrass class right now which I hope is going to add further to my knowledge.

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 03-02-2011, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea, it will, but on-the-job training, seminars, continuing educations classes will help out a lot too.

Where you in school at? Does UCONN have a college of ag?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I just looked it up, actually founded as an ag school, cool, Go Huskies
Old 03-03-2011, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I go to Naugatuck Community College. I am getting an A.S. in Hort

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 03-03-2011, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

i would suggest that you continue to grow your business and continue your education at the same time . just a suggestion because you live in conn you might want to try the
UMASS winter school in stockbridge mass it,s great for people who want to learn the busines technical aspercts. they have guest proffesors teach the classes. i want to sent one of my techs next year. they can teach you quickly ithink it,s about 10 week all in the winter.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter140 View Post
i would suggest that you continue to grow your business and continue your education at the same time . just a suggestion because you live in conn you might want to try the
UMASS winter school in stockbridge mass it,s great for people who want to learn the busines technical aspercts. they have guest proffesors teach the classes. i want to sent one of my techs next year. they can teach you quickly ithink it,s about 10 week all in the winter.

I am thinking that I should try to grow app side of my business this year, and do my best. I am pretty confident, but I also realize I need to learn more.

The problem with the ten week course is that it will interfere with my schooling down here. It does sound like a good course though.

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation