Register free!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Straw or not?

I leveled out a portion of my lawn that had a hump in it. I ended up distrubing an area about 15' wide.....and 60' long. It's loose soil, currently.

I plan to do a full kill/renovation of this area in the summer (spray) and fall (overseed). But, I'd like to have a stand of grass in this area for the season.

So....if I sow some fescue/rye in this area.....do I put out straw? Any advantage or disadvantage?

Thanks. I'm a grass sowing newb.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Covering new seed with straw might be helpful to retain moisture. Use about a bale per 1000 sqft. But...when sowing new seed, it is probably easier and better to just water everyday for 30 days. What about crabgrass? Is the area irrigated? Are your usual grass types mainly tall fescue in your area? Your climate may be too hot for perennial ryegrass, if your temps get over 90 regularly. As a temporary solution--it may be OK. So you plan to kill it all in fall and reseed with a more permanent grass? Fine...be sure to use a high-quality seed suited to your climate. I am not from your state, but I suggest kill it in late Aug and plan to rake and seed when temps come down to about 85. Seed germinates quick when soil temp is high. Use starter fert and add turf building fert at about 30 and 60 days after seeding. Again keep it moist with lots of water.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks a bunch. I can't get much water to this area.....and I'm definitely gonna kill it all, this summer (in August). Just looking for a stand, until then.

Thanks again.