Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 09-15-2002, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stuck choke-cable

P.J : I need some help here . The choke pull on my Z is stuck , its stuck to the point that when I pull I have to pull so hard that the knob falls off and I have to get a pair of channel locks to pull the choke up . I make sure that our machines are rinsed off every day and washed every Friday when they return from the field . What Ive noticed is that it looks like the choke cable is getting coroded where the metal goes into the plastic tube .I know I could probaly Super Glue it back on but this would not rectify my problem .The machine is under warrenty and they will fix it but the question I am asking is ,is this something that Hustler is having problems with ,is water getting in the choke cable and freezing it up ? They machine has 43hrs on it and thats the only problem with it .As an afterthought I have a friend who owns one too and he has the same problem as mine , all his equipment stays outside in the elements . He brought it to my attention and then a week later mine gets stuck . With his in the rain and me washing ours off everyday I think its the water coroding the cable .Thanks
Old 09-15-2002, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have had to replace my choke cable on my demo Super Z.
I have found that it more relates to the cable routing.
Have your dealer replace the cable under warranty, and check the routing of the cable, and I would think they will get it taken care of quite quicly for you.
Let me know how you make out.

Later
Pj
Old 11-06-2002, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I to just had my choke cable replaced. The dealer said taht this is something they are replacing alot off. Is Hustler working on a solution to this? So far this my only complaint about the Super Z and it is a mionr one I admit.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have not had any more problems with mine, although I dont put any where near as many hours on the machines as you guys do.

I will forward this message to our service manager and see what he has to say.

Later
Pj
Old 11-07-2002, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is the response I got from our service manager:

"The problem is the corrosion around the steel stem of the choke cable.
Hustler has made a change to a stainless steel stem and that will correct the problem. Any cables that have been ordered from Hustler recently will be stainless.
I would recommend that your customer not wash his mower everyday as this promotes corrosion and sometimes electrical problems. Blow the mower off with compressed air everyday and wash it once a week and be sure it is dry before putting it in storage."

I would suggest you contact your dealer and make sure he has the newer cable, then have him install it for you.

Later
Pj
Old 11-08-2002, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks PJ