Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 03-04-2011, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Fastrak 20/52 Won't Start (Just Clicks)

In intermittent start problem has unfortunately evolved into a dead mower. Attempted ignition results in the engine light coming on and the fuel solenoid clicking. Besides that, nothing. No noise/life coming from the starter. Previously, I could sometimes walk away and come back minutes later, and all would be good on the first start attempt. Or on rare occasion, a few repeated key turns might would have done the trick. Now there are no tricks that appear to work. Any suggestions?

I am electrically challenged and have not done a thorough checkout of safety switches (seat, levers, etc.). Mechanically they appear to be OK. The battery checks out OK. Charged it anyhow, reaching full charge in under an hour at slow trickle. Research has lead me to believe that the problem most likely centers around the starter solenoid or in a relay. Fuses pass the visual check, but I still plan on replacing them to rule out the possibility that there is something faulty there since they are cheap.

I used to have a Honda Civic hatchback with a bad relay. Very similar symptoms. Might start there... Next, I will disassemble the starter and look for issues. After that, who knows. I'm essentially looking for recommendations. Thanks so much.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Double check your battery and its connections and the ground cable connections.
Then check fuses and the relays, the relay is likely your issue.

Pj
Old 03-10-2011, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Pj,

I can start the mower by jumping the battery and ignition terminals on the starter solenoid. So solenoid and starter seem to be OK. And all safety switches are temporarily bypassed, thus they are not the problem.

Upon further troubleshooting, I find that the wire running from the start relay to the starter solenoid (red) goes from 0V to 12V upon key turn, but only when disconnected from the solenoid. Upon connecting, I get no appreciable voltage reading at either end on key turn - thus no start. Puzzling to me. Make any sense to you?

Still think it might be a bad relay? The start relay does not seem to click as hard as the kill relay for whatever it is worth. Before spending the $10-$15 on a relay, would switching out the start and kill relays as a checkout work?

I notice that 12V five terminal relays appear to be sold in local auto parts stores. Same part? The look identical. Same numbering a the terminals I believe.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the relay, swap the 2 and you will see.

Pj
Old 03-11-2011, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Success! Swapped the start and kill relays out and got ignition. Off to AutoZone I go tomorrow. Think the 12V one I have seen in the parts store is the same type as in mower? Again, looks identical and has same terminal numbering I think.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I was having the exact same problem last season with my mini-fastrak 42/17. I was tired of jumping the solenoid with a screw driver and was determined to get it fixed for this season. One Bosch 0332209138 standard automotive relay later and it fires right up.

I have had this mower since 2006 and cannot imagine a better mower for my needs.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like the battery cables have corrosion. Take them off and clean with a wire brush.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwhite86 View Post
Success! Swapped the start and kill relays out and got ignition. Off to AutoZone I go tomorrow. Think the 12V one I have seen in the parts store is the same type as in mower? Again, looks identical and has same terminal numbering I think.
Sweet!!!
The relays you get from Hustler are of marine grade to prevent moisture from entering them, I would stick with OEM.

Pj
Old 05-09-2011, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I am having the same issues. Where are the relays located?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwrangler View Post
I am having the same issues. Where are the relays located?

Thanks
Under your control panel.

Pj