Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2011, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Help with Urea 46-0-0 dilution for tow sprayer

I have read a lot of useful tips on this forum and I'm really needing some advice

I am borrowing my neighbor's tow behind sprayer (I don't have the particulars on it yet as far as rate and capacity). My primary concern is to not burn my lawn with the Urea as I have not used a tow-behind before, only granular in a push rotary.

Dilution for the 46-0-0 prill - I have about 1.1 acres and bought 2 50lb bags from Lesco. I am also wanting to run Lesco Pre-M 3.3 liquid at the same time. So, it was recommended that I dilute the prill in warm water before pouring in the tank but I'm just not clear on how much to apply. Can you all help me with how much I should use per gallon capacity in the tank. I think the Pre-M is not so hard for me to figure but the Urea makes me nervous.

Also - how big a deal is my mower speed during application and should I mow before application (mowing is needed now and I hope to apply the fert/prem after a heavy rain coming this weekend)

thanks for any help!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dars View Post
I have read a lot of useful tips on this forum and I'm really needing some advice

I am borrowing my neighbor's tow behind sprayer (I don't have the particulars on it yet as far as rate and capacity). My primary concern is to not burn my lawn with the Urea as I have not used a tow-behind before, only granular in a push rotary.

Dilution for the 46-0-0 prill - I have about 1.1 acres and bought 2 50lb bags from Lesco. I am also wanting to run Lesco Pre-M 3.3 liquid at the same time. So, it was recommended that I dilute the prill in warm water before pouring in the tank but I'm just not clear on how much to apply. Can you all help me with how much I should use per gallon capacity in the tank. I think the Pre-M is not so hard for me to figure but the Urea makes me nervous.

Also - how big a deal is my mower speed during application and should I mow before application (mowing is needed now and I hope to apply the fert/prem after a heavy rain coming this weekend)

thanks for any help!
Dars

I used to teach "Materials Calculation" in a Golf Course Management program connected to a local college. Therefore if anyone can give you the best advise it might be me. And the best advise I can give you is to hire a professional. It is obvious you don't have enough information to even start asking the correct questions.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ric is right. A tow-behind sprayer is not really suitable for this work. As you suspect there is a good chance the urea would burn your grass.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

alternatives?

ric,

I suspect you're right. the urea in the tow behind does make me nervous. I'll likely just apply the Pre-M that way and i'll return the Prill Urea to Lesco and exchange it. Suggestions for what I should pick up to put down with the pre-m? 21-0-0? I'm real comfortable with my rotary spreader but would love some input on what to put down. I generally have used a combo product but want to use the pre-m liquid maybe that would also help to water in a separate fertilizer put down first.

thanks again for any input,

david
Old 03-06-2011, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The tow behind sprayer you are going to be using is probably not going to put out near enough volume to where you do not need to water in the pre-m much less water in the fert.

If I may, I would suggest using like the Lesco's 19-0-7 Stonewall [if you need nitrogen now] and then water in. That way you would not have to spread and then spray and stiil have to water.