Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2011, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

DOT number

How many FL guys have DOT numbers? This has been discussed a gazillion times I'm sure, just curious. And can you get them if you don't need them? Its my understanding you don't need to register in FL if your gvr is under 26,001. I can't see many lco's being over that...
Old 03-05-2011, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlco View Post
How many FL guys have DOT numbers? This has been discussed a gazillion times I'm sure, just curious. And can you get them if you don't need them? Its my understanding you don't need to register in FL if your gvr is under 26,001. I can't see many lco's being over that...
Tjlco

A few years back after a DOT NUMBERS disscussion I checked with my local license plate bureau here in Florida. I was told Florida doesn't require DOT Numbers. This might of changed because my information is not up to date. BUT I see one heck of a lot of trucks WITHOUT DOT NUMBERS.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah me too, and after tons of searching and a phonecall I came up with this:
The Florida Department of Transportation, Office of Motor Carrier Compliance, on March 1,1999, implemented a new Motor Carrier Registration Program for Intrastate motor carriers. Your company is now required to obtain a USDOT number and display it on all your commercial motor vehicles (CMV's) if your company operates a CMV that:
1. has a declared gross vehicle weight of 26,001 lbs or more;
2. transports hazardous materials requiring placarding;
3. transports hazardous materials in a vehicle with a gross weight rating of 10,001 lbs or more; and/or
4. is designed to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, for compensation.
This requirement is not limited to "trucking companies". A motor carrier is any commercial enterprise that uses such vehicles in the furtherance of its business. If your company operates a commercial vehicle, you are subject to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, which includes obtaining and displaying a USDOT number. These regulations were adopted in Section 316.302, Florida Statutes.

now I do carry about 35 total gallons of fuel so maybe I need it for that, not the weight
Old 03-05-2011, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlco View Post
Yeah me too, and after tons of searching and a phonecall I came up with this:
The Florida Department of Transportation, Office of Motor Carrier Compliance, on March 1,1999, implemented a new Motor Carrier Registration Program for Intrastate motor carriers. Your company is now required to obtain a USDOT number and display it on all your commercial motor vehicles (CMV's) if your company operates a CMV that:
1. has a declared gross vehicle weight of 26,001 lbs or more;
2. transports hazardous materials requiring placarding;
3. transports hazardous materials in a vehicle with a gross weight rating of 10,001 lbs or more; and/or

4. is designed to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, for compensation.
This requirement is not limited to "trucking companies". A motor carrier is any commercial enterprise that uses such vehicles in the furtherance of its business. If your company operates a commercial vehicle, you are subject to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, which includes obtaining and displaying a USDOT number. These regulations were adopted in Section 316.302, Florida Statutes.

now I do carry about 35 total gallons of fuel so maybe I need it for that, not the weight

TJ

My Isuzu is 14,500 GVW and as a pesticide truck sure qualifies as transporting hazardous materials. In fact the each DOT Officer must stop so many Hazmat type inspections each year to keep their Hazmat EPA certificate. In my area that mean Pesticide trucks 3/4 tons or bigger. I have stopped by DOT and they are bears about writing a ticket. DOT NUMBERS never came up and the officer was just looking for something to write me on.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 03-05-2011, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Out here they are so busy wieghing the citrus haulers they don't have much time to do anything else.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
Out here they are so busy wieghing the citrus haulers they don't have much time to do anything else.
Zturn

I am not sure what variety trees I have but they are old Very old. Any way I think I might of squeezed my last orange for this year. My oranges are over ripe now and not as sweet as they once were. But I have tons of flowers for next years crop.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
TJ

My Isuzu is 14,500 GVW and as a pesticide truck sure qualifies as transporting hazardous materials. In fact the each DOT Officer must stop so many Hazmat type inspections each year to keep their Hazmat EPA certificate. In my area that mean Pesticide trucks 3/4 tons or bigger. I have stopped by DOT and they are bears about writing a ticket. DOT NUMBERS never came up and the officer was just looking for something to write me on.
So you have a CDL with HazMat and tank endorsements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
So you have a CDL with HazMat and tank endorsements?
Duffster

So you are here from the Midwest to tells us how to do things in Florida. Sorry I do not have a CDL but I do have HazMat Endorsement AND I AM NOT REQUIRED TO IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA. May I suggest you start your Brian before engaging your Key Board.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Duffster

So you are here from the Midwest to tells us how to do things in Florida. Sorry I do not have a CDL but I do have HazMat Endorsement AND I AM NOT REQUIRED TO IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA. May I suggest you start your Brian before engaging your Key Board.

Because you are not hauling HazMat.

Do tell about this HazMat endorsement that you have without a CDL.

Quote:
Old 03-09-2011, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
Do tell about this HazMat endorsement that you have without a CDL.
I am truly interested in hearing about this HazMat Endorsement.

Quote: