Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-16-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There are many species of Carpenter ants and all are in the Genus of Camponotus. Northern Carpenter ants differ from the Southern Carpenter Ants we have in Florida in both appearance and Habits. However Nik's post about Carpenter Ants is typical of those Carpenter Ants in the USA even if they are different Species.

BTW Fipronil is on the EPA hit list.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

There are many species of Carpenter ants and all are in the Genus of Camponotus. Northern Carpenter ants differ from the Southern Carpenter Ants we have in Florida in both appearance and Habits. However Nik's post about Carpenter Ants is typical of those Carpenter Ants in the USA even if they are different Species.

BTW Fipronil is on the EPA hit list.

The reason is for it being on the hit list is because it is showing up in urban creeks and streams.

I found a few signs of it them in my house and would like to get rid of them ASAP too. I may actually call some one to help but I thought I could get some clues here. I do not have a structure licenses but a T&O
Old 11-17-2012, 03:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
The reason is for it being on the hit list is because it is showing up in urban creeks and streams.

I found a few signs of it them in my house and would like to get rid of them ASAP too. I may actually call some one to help but I thought I could get some clues here. I do not have a structure licenses but a T&O
Anything applied to the soil in large quantities for termite control that is environmentally persistent and not strongly bound to soil will find its way into surface water. That is why there is so much chlordane, dieldrin, and heptachlor in the waterways in Hawaii. I have to wonder how much of the permethrin and bifenthrin that went off target and caused them to be restricted for outdoor pest control came from termite applications. An average termite treatment uses a quart or more of 7.9% bifenthrin SC per house. Where an outdoor surface application only uses an ounce or two at a time.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 11-17-2012, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Anything applied to the soil in large quantities for termite control that is environmentally persistent and not strongly bound to soil will find its way into surface water. That is why there is so much chlordane, dieldrin, and heptachlor in the waterways in Hawaii. I have to wonder how much of the permethrin and bifenthrin that went off target and caused them to be restricted for outdoor pest control came from termite applications. An average termite treatment uses a quart or more of 7.9% bifenthrin SC per house. Where an outdoor surface application only uses an ounce or two at a time.
Most cognitive authorities suspect homeowners not professional applicators. Of the major cities checked, I think Dallas was the one with high Fipronil and I suspect because of fire ant treatments.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That much Topchoice is used?

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 11-17-2012, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Trend results for insecticides indicated widespread significant downward trends for chlorpyrifos (especially 1996–2004), diazinon (1996–2004 and 2000–2008), and malathion (especially 1996–2004); widespread significant upward trends for fipronil and its degradation products (2000–2008); and mostly nonsignificant trends for carbaryl (1996–2004 and 2000–2008). The downward trends for chlorpyrifos and diazinon were consistent with the regulatory phaseout of residential uses of these insecticides and the upward trends for fipronil and its degradation products were consistent with its introduction in 1996 and subsequent increasing use as a possible substitute for chlorpyrifos and diazinon. The downward trends in malathion may be caused by voluntary substitution of pyrethroids or fipronil for malathion. Although carbaryl trends were mostly nonsignificant, most of the trends for 1996–2004 were upward and four of the upward trends were significant. The upward tendency in carbaryl concentrations during that time may indicate some substitution of carbaryl for chlorpyrifos and diazinon. For 2000–2008, carbaryl trends were mixed upward and downward and the trends were mostly nonsignificant. Despite voluntary cancellation of some residential uses of carbaryl beginning in about 2000, there were only four significant downward trends during 2000–2008 and two significant upward trends during that time. Voluntary cancellations of some carbaryl uses may not have decreased overall carbaryl usage in some areas, or decreases in some uses may have been offset by substitution of carbaryl for chlorpyrifos and diazinon.
http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2010/5139/

The entire report here

http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2010/5139/pdf/sir2010-5139.pdf

Enjoy
Old 11-17-2012, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

most important before you bait for ants is to find out what kind of ants you have.
Fipronil will kill them all but.... not on the label. Fipronil is not being found in streams it has been found in all the wrong places by inspectors that were sprayed by licensed pest control companies. One was in Georgia and was doing pest control work in nursing homes in florida. They had on the service sheet of using termidor in the kitchen and patients rooms as a crack and crevice spray and signed by the technician. Big problem... Company in GA cant spray in florida and termidor is not a crack and crevice chemical. They find it all the time. Inspectors take a Q-Tip dipped in water and swap where the pest control company sprayed at and the test will show what was sprayed.... They got ya and the fine is huge. As the inspector told me. more reports come in that it is being used against label is one more nail in the coffin for a good chemical
12 grandkids
1attorney
1CPA
1Mortage Company
6 insurance companies
cant figure out why I cant retire this year.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Read the lable. Food prep is crack and crevice only! Provided it is on lable.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Read the lable. Food prep is crack and crevice only! Provided it is on lable.

not for termidor
12 grandkids
1attorney
1CPA
1Mortage Company
6 insurance companies
cant figure out why I cant retire this year.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bug_guy View Post
most important before you bait for ants is to find out what kind of ants you have.
Fipronil will kill them all but.... not on the label. Fipronil is not being found in streams it has been found in all the wrong places by inspectors that were sprayed by licensed pest control companies. One was in Georgia and was doing pest control work in nursing homes in florida. They had on the service sheet of using termidor in the kitchen and patients rooms as a crack and crevice spray and signed by the technician. Big problem... Company in GA cant spray in florida and termidor is not a crack and crevice chemical. They find it all the time. Inspectors take a Q-Tip dipped in water and swap where the pest control company sprayed at and the test will show what was sprayed.... They got ya and the fine is huge. As the inspector told me. more reports come in that it is being used against label is one more nail in the coffin for a good chemical
It been a couple years but I remember the nursing home/termidor story had some HUGE FINES and loss of certification in both states. The states threw the book at them. If I remember correctly this was a story in one of the Industry Magazines.

Duekster

If you want a cheap and good control of Carpenter Ants try placing the Carpenter Ant bait on there trails and wait 6 weeks for total control. Baits work but use a slow acting poison so it travel all the way to the queen or queens in Carpenter ant's case. The Terro Bait stations that you buy at the super market are not to great for Carpenter Ants but get most all other ants IF you mix it 50/50 with water. Terro is too strong and works better when cut in half. Be sure to use a Bait designed for Carpenter Ants. It is structural IPM ID the target and follow control protocol.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.