Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2011, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Canceling a yellowbook (feist) directory ad.

Who here advertizes with them? Who has tried to cancel their ad with them completely? I have a bad feeling they are going to try to screw me and just renew the ad without my consent. The ad rep called me mid december, as always, asking if we could meet up, go over revisions, and sign off on this years ad. I told him I'd rather just remove my ad all together. Well of course he got rude with me and told me he would "let me think about it" and contact me later. Well I don't know when the cut-off date is but I haven't heard back from them yet! Surely they can't legally renew my ad and bill me without my approval, right?

I want to kill the ad because, quite frankly, think it's a big waste in this area. We have the local AT&T book that covers all the area I work in, and I have an ad in that yellowpages. The yellowbook covers a larger area, well outside of where I service. Plus I don't think that many people really grab that book over the AT&T book. Yeah they claim that theirs is always used more, but I call BS on their numbers! Plus it's 2011, most people under about age 40 to 50 look up numbers and businesses online, I know I do. Paying for a print ad buried in a paper book where 40 other services are listed under the same heading is certianly NOT directly targeting anyone.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to say. But Yes they will try to screw you.

I got involved with them about 4 yrs ago. and I had to threaten a lawsuite if they didn't leave me alone.

there WAY over priced. and it was NOT for us. they would call me about every 3 months or so.
I talke to a Managers, I told the reps, and finley I contaicted the Attorney Generals office,

after the latter, I havent herd from them in about a year now.

If you dont feel confortable DONT DO IT.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You have to sign a new contract ever year., unless you signed a multiple year contract. That's why the rep wants to meet up, to get your John handcock. I canceld mine in December as well. All the calls I got were "tire kickers" or "price checkers" calling ever landscape listing in the book to get a lowball price. Waste of time and money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2011, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it's a year to year contract, I have to sign it each year. But... It's the yellowbook, I was a bit afraid that since I said I wanted to cancel they were going to try to slip my listing back in and bill me anyway. It's not like they don't have signatures from prior years to use. I just didn't know how low they would stoop.

I know well how high pressure they are. I've told myself every year I was going to cut back to just a line on the page and it never fails after an hour of persuasion I end up with a larger ad than the year before! And I'm pretty hard headed and stubborn!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look up their 800 number on your billing stAtement and make sure it has canceled.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2011, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Member

I just signed up to advertise with yellowbook. Got my first set of proofs. Nothing like what we talked about. I sent in my changes. Didn't hear back for 3 weeks. Called my rep. She said they were working on it still. Called back three weeks later, she said she was going to send them that day. Called my rep a couple days later she said they were really backed up but she'd call me back soon. Called my rep again and asked what was going on. I still hadn't seen my proofs and it's been like 3 months. She told me that they made all the changes that I wanted and the book would be out in Feb. No more changes. I said how do you know if I like the changes. She says well they did what you wanted and I'm sorry I didn't get the proofs back to you we'll put in for a price reduction. $4500 for an ad that I don't even get to see before it goes in the book. I can't wait for the conversation that takes place when the bills start coming. And I thought AT&T were bad.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Oh and you should see the little commercial and website they gave me. Lol, I've been fighting to get them to fix that too.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 AM

You have to send them a Certified Letter notification of cancellation before their deadline.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The rep actually called me yesterday but I'm not in town... Hopefully we will meet up and I can get it cancelled. Fingers crossed!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2011, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There must be a seperate one for Hutch because the one here has already been printed. I think it was printed in November.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci