Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2011, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Worst trailer accident i ever had..who boy, just avoided the grim reaper.

Two years ago, traveling down I-70 on a Sunday night loaded with two 61" Scag Turf Tigers on the tandem. Going about 60 mph at the time. It was dark, about 10pm, not a lot of drivers on the road, making my way to storage right over a major bridge here in Kansas City looking for my Manchester exit. This is a pretty good size bridge where if you went over the edge...that's it. You know where this is headed, don't ya?

Right about the halfway point of the bridge I feel this 'BAM..BAM...BAM" to the back of my GMC! It felt like a big oak tree was a battering ram to my truck! The trailer hitch had jumped the ball and the chains were pulling the tongue hard against my pickup tailgate in an effort to ram a hole through it. Both Tigers slammed hard against the back gate or I'd have spilled those mowers all over I-70 in the darkness, sure to cause head-on calamity! Only saving grace...one lone chain holding the trailer from me and sure destruction. I would've been lead story that night on the evening news. The other safety chain broke. I did my best Jeff Gordon to keep that truck and trailer from doing a dive over the safety rail.

Slowed the truck and trailer down, parked it best I could to the short lip just a foot or two from highway traffic. Next problem, the impact pulled the trailer lights out of the socket and I'm sitting there on a major highway with no lights to a trailer so close to the highway, just one wrong move by a driver and he's right into the back of my trailer sight unseen! I immediately got on my Turf Tigers and turned on my halogen lights that both mowers had, parked them on the lip of the road showcasing the trailer to the drivers until I could load again. Lifted the hitch on the ball, then the mowers on the trailer. Drove real slow to the exit just about 25 ft. away and made it to storage. A little frazzled, but alive!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you should have stoped and got some new britches too. Nice Save
Old 03-07-2011, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Had the same thing happen with a pallet of fert, the weight of te fert on the back of the trailer caused the hitch to malfunction, had a semi behind me lock up his wheels as to not drive threw me.......we now use bulldog hitches...Every morning, i check the ball and hitch with my own eyes......i was also on a bridge. I had to stop at a gas station for awhile, to kinda recover from the deal.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dam that's sucks, but at least nothing bad happen to you.
Complete lawn care services
Old 03-07-2011, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, my britches were a bit soiled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbaylawns View Post
Sounds like you should have stoped and got some new britches too. Nice Save

REAPER DIDN'T GET ME THAT DAY...but he did get some soiled britches.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

good call furness, on that bulldog hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furness & Sons L&L View Post
Had the same thing happen with a pallet of fert, the weight of te fert on the back of the trailer caused the hitch to malfunction, had a semi behind me lock up his wheels as to not drive threw me.......we now use bulldog hitches...Every morning, i check the ball and hitch with my own eyes......i was also on a bridge. I had to stop at a gas station for awhile, to kinda recover from the deal.
That's what I use now and haven't had any problems. Bulldog rules! Sounds like both you and I cheated the reaper.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I would never trust any ball hitch other than a Bulldog. Glad you were able to pull through that potential disaster.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i had the frame tear on an older truck loaded where the hitch was mounted . that was fun. had to carefully unload so we could unhitch the trailer and connect it to a different truck.

had the frame repaired and extra beefed and used for many years after that
Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=RECESSION PROOF MOWING;3927709]That's what I use now and haven't had any problems. Bulldog rules! Sounds like both you and I cheated the reaper.[/QUOTE

I can tell you this story now and chuckle, but when i was cruising over the rio grande, in rush hour traffic at 630 am i was worried about anything but my trailer hitch not working!!! That semi locked up his wheels, i saw smoke, and slammed my breaks to drop the trailer, cars were swerving, it was a nightmare!! Once i slammed the brakes for a quick second i was able to get the trailer to puncture the trucks tailgate!! Toatally what i wanted to happen, at ths point i limped acros 2 lanes of traffic and I was able to get off the bridge........it was a learning experience to say the least, the weight of the fert was just to much. The chains saved my life i do beleive, i criss crossed them as always and that kept it from completly taking off!!! Chain it and Bulldog it and forget it!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

i use to have a bronco for my work truck and i lifted it. long story short i found out why you dont use aluminum blocks for the back. i was coming off of a bridge about 5 blocks away from my house and i crushed one of the blocks and the whole rearend cocked over into the wheel well and i kissed the median with my front bumper and then my tailight guard on the trailer.... that was enough excitement for me.lol.
Shindaiwa T230 Trimmer
STIHL stick edger
2009 AMP Gator Tail 5x10 Trailer with locking rack.
2009 Troy Built push mower (for gates)
2010 STIHL BR600
20ft tandem axle deckover

Proud to be American and strong in my beliefs