Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-07-2011, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gas mileage comparison?

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 5.3L V8 and 4 wheel drive. I haul two commercial mowers and a 6.5x12 open utility trailer. I was considering buying a new truck in the fall... a 2011 F250 is what I have my mind set on. My question is: Will towing my trailer with a heavier duty truck save on gas because it pulls it much easier than my 1500 Silverado? If not, what other options do you recommend. I have no clue what my MPG is on my current truck, or what it will be for the F250. I would figure my mowers together to weigh around 1500 Lbs and I don't know what the trailer weight is.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The 1/2 ton 5.3 is a great platform to tow a single axle trailer. A 3/4 ton will be able to tow more, but might loose a mile or two difference. The big difference is you wont wear out parts so fast and will have a better rig to build off of. I would say a 3/4 ton is the ideal truck.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Member

what motor you want in the f250 makes a big difference too.

and i dont know if this is true for anyone else but insurance is almost double in my 3/4 ton than in my 1/2 ton.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson Lawn Care View Post
I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 5.3L V8 and 4 wheel drive. I haul two commercial mowers and a 6.5x12 open utility trailer. I was considering buying a new truck in the fall... a 2011 F250 is what I have my mind set on. My question is: Will towing my trailer with a heavier duty truck save on gas because it pulls it much easier than my 1500 Silverado? If not, what other options do you recommend. I have no clue what my MPG is on my current truck, or what it will be for the F250. I would figure my mowers together to weigh around 1500 Lbs and I don't know what the trailer weight is.
Weight kills MPG. A lighter 2wd truck will get better mileage than a 3/4 ton ford. Also ford is not putting any efficient gas motors in the 3/4 ton. You have three economy options with the 1/2 ton and feedback is just coming in on which is getting better MPG. Here is a six cylinder comparison pulling a trailer but were they driving like the world drives or like I drive to get MPG? I beat the Ford numbers with my old 4.2 manual hauling the same weight and the modern 3.7 is a much better mileage rig so I think better numbers can be had.
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....-shootout.html
Old 03-09-2011, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My truck now has close to 200k on it. I am probably going be buying a truck in the fall, but I am not sure if this thing is going to make it until then. Here's another question for you guys, I have mentioned this situation to friends and they say don't put any money into my truck, but if something goes out and I have to get a new engine or transmission, would it be wise to put money into it or just buy a new truck? I'm sure there are many factors, but I am asking what you would do personally?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
My truck now has close to 200k on it. I am probably going be buying a truck in the fall, but I am not sure if this thing is going to make it until then. Here's another question for you guys, I have mentioned this situation to friends and they say don't put any money into my truck, but if something goes out and I have to get a new engine or transmission, would it be wise to put money into it or just buy a new truck? I'm sure there are many factors, but I am asking what you would do personally?
Without more financial information it is difficult to advise you. Some will recommend a new truck to get a warranty, better mileage, etc. My last truck was a '98 F150 with 265,000 miles on it that we gave to our daughter and son in law. Replaced it 2 years ago with an '03 F150 for around $9000. Newer truck had 43,000 miles on it at the time. I did some research for the most reliable year of the model I was looking for and then get the one with the lowest miles/best price I could find.

While you will have lower maintenance costs on a new vehicle the depreciation costs are high. For my needs getting another used truck was the better financial decision.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
You can check KBB to see the value of your truck to see if it would warrant a repair. I would consider a repair if I was keeping the truck as a back up if I could do most of the repair myself cheaply. . Otherwise I would not. Spending $1000 on a 800.00 truck ?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
You can check KBB to see the value of your truck to see if it would warrant a repair. I would consider a repair if I was keeping the truck as a back up if I could do most of the repair myself cheaply. . Otherwise I would not. Spending $1000 on a 800.00 truck ?
In this area any truck is worth $2000 if it is running.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

For mowing i use a F350 5.4 5 speed with 3.73 gears I pull a 22 ' GN trailer with 2 72'' and 60'' part time other part will have 3 60'' with lots room to spare I get 8-10 mpg in town driving
Old 03-09-2011, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
For mowing i use a F350 5.4 5 speed with 3.73 gears I pull a 22 ' GN trailer with 2 72'' and 60'' part time other part will have 3 60'' with lots room to spare I get 8-10 mpg in town driving
That is what my F150 gets with the same engine, auto and 3.55 gears. Less capability but the same mileage as yours. You must have a good one.