Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2011, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Customer calls... Where do they live?

I have been in business since 2003. Since 2007, I have had a secretary (my mom) anyways, it is hard to find out where people live when they call in for an estimate. It is very common for my mom to call me and ask if I can service a certain area. She usually tells them she will have to call them back to see if we service their area. I feel that the potential customer may not like the fact that we don't know already that we can service their area. This year I put a map on a tack board and tacked the exact streets that I service then drew a border around each area that I will service. Next to the map, I will have each city and zip code that I service. When they call, we will be able to keep them on the phone (if they have time) and make sure we can service their area.

What do you guys do for this situation? What kind of method do you have set up?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wish there was some kind of software that I could plug in my current customers addresses and say draw a 20 mile radius on the map around these addresses and if we plug a new address into the system for an estimate, it would tell us if we can service the area.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nobody has this issue?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I try to be at home to return a call. I get on my PC, draw up Google Earth. When they give me an address, I can look not only where they live, but also something about their property, "... driveway on the left side of the house, right?" "... wedged shaped lot, right?" "... about 200 feet down the right boundary, right?" If the neighborhood is familiar, I know the house.

If I know something about the property, and know the area (slopes, kinds of properties), most of the time I can give them an estimate on the phone right then and there.

Whoever is answering your phone has got to be familiar with the area you work. Whether you are interested should be no mystery to the caller requiring a second call.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

All calls go to my cell phone messages and I return them when I can.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your idea of using the map with boarders is what most service companies use.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our secretary knows every zip code we service. When a future client calls we ask questions ............ last would be city. Then she asks where did you hear about us and then says a technician (not sales person) will call you. Then the sales slips are handed out in the office and we break the news to them. (sorry we dont service there)
Old 03-11-2011, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So you call them back to tell them you don't service their area and don't mention anything about it until you know you don't?
Old 03-11-2011, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson Lawn Care View Post
So you call them back to tell them you don't service their area and don't mention anything about it until you know you don't?
No the secretary does it 99% of the time as she knows our service area. But there is exceptions where someone will call with multiple properties all over. EX: A couple days ago a chain of 13 stores spread out all over our area called she took the info and didnt know if we would like to do them all to get the work. I called the person back and said we can service 11 of the locations 2 of them are to far away.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

got it... thanks for your time.