Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2002, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

back up company in case of injury?

This probably applies to owner/ operaters more than bigger companys. Over labor day weekend I broke my collar bone riding my dirt bike in the oregon dunes. When it happened the first thing that came to mind was "my wife is gonna kill me!" and "what am I going to do about all my customers". Luckily one of my friends that has his own landscape businness was there when it happend and later that night at camp he offered to help me out while I would be out of commision. It has worked out really well. I did feel kind of stupid when I had to call all of my customers explaining what happened and that there would be a different company stopping by for a while. Any way I am giving him half of the money that is made. I have also hooked him up with some jobs that he could have 100% of the money. If the situation was reversed I would do it for him. If you are an owner / operater and you like to do stuff like jump motor cycles, skateboard, or other hobbys that are potentially dangerous it might be a good idea to make arangements incase you can't work for a while and all your doing is crusing around lawn site. Just a little friendly advise, later.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Know what you mean, sorry to hear about your prediciment, glad to hear you have gotten some help, though. I had close call myself the other night, at my "other job" as a machinist, cut my hand with a burring tool between the index finger and thumb. Appx 2in long 1/2in wide and 1/4in deep Only 8 stitches and missed all the tendons and ligaments (got lucky there) when I did it the first thought across my mind was how am I going to mow? Least it wasn't any worst and was able to mow the next day without much complications. (the WB pistolgrips are a little tender on the hand) Just gotta be careful out there. Marc
Old 09-18-2002, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

That sounds pretty nasty. Glad it was not worse and you can still work. Don't work to hard.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

no offence,but sounds like an opportunity
to check u gut ,an toughness.
i have had both mine broken when i was younger. u jus do what u gotta do.
now wait father if i know u ,id better be careful with this kinda talk.
i do think theres a value in a man not letting things stop him too easy.
a man thats standing aint ever whipped, until he thinks he is.
ill catch flak for this but its just what i think . and i dont back off it. hope u heal fast.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Awm, I hear ya bro. I am all for being tough. Believe me I can't wait to get out and do some work. I just don't want it to heal improperly because I was impatient. I would hate to have it rebroken by a docter.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i know marley . u jus do what u gotta do brother. my attitude comes from being raised in a small mill hill town in the south. heck when i was young i use to pick a day once in a while ,when all the work was caught up ,an lay out. it was my gift to myself . the boss didnt mind ,cause he knew if we were in a push ,id be there,one way or the
other,no matter what.
later i got to thinking about my daddy.
1 day out, in close to 30 yrs at the mill.he went in sick ,but had to be brought home.
thats the only time i ever saw a miagrane headache, nearly kill a man.
got to thinking id try more to measure up to him. and im not too shabby . i aint daddy ,but not too shabby.
kinda hope the creator dont decide i need to learn somethin for sayin this. i know u carrying me bout half the time.