Register free!

Old 03-11-2011, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Low N - U of F just had the person in charge of their Turf program do a event at the local county extension - one of the key points was that Zoysia would look its best with no more than 3 to 4 lbs of N a year, anymore, disease is a issue.
I would also side with the more natural sources of N.....chicken litter would be a excellent choice because of its ability to create microbes to fight of disease such as fungus.
I am sure that FL landscape will tell you that it is also a excellent choice for topdressing.
Is that all N with no K or micronutrients? If I applied that little N in a year to zoysia, I and my clients would be looking at pale zoysia that is also eaten up by disease. Especially dollar spot. I usually start with 1/2 lb N spoon fed monthly and at least 1/4 lb K along with a complete spectrum of micronutrients. I have dealt with the funny phone calls because I thought I would cut back on the fertilization during wet periods. I get to explain why there are 1" spots of dead grass all over the lawn and why the grass is yellowish. Topdressing and organic matter is ok, but never do I let political correctness compromise a client's lawn.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-11-2011, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Is that all N with no K or micronutrients? If I applied that little N in a year to zoysia, I and my clients would be looking at pale zoysia that is also eaten up by disease. Especially dollar spot. I usually start with 1/2 lb N spoon fed monthly and at least 1/4 lb K along with a complete spectrum of micronutrients. I have dealt with the funny phone calls because I thought I would cut back on the fertilization during wet periods. I get to explain why there are 1" spots of dead grass all over the lawn and why the grass is yellowish. Topdressing and organic matter is ok, but never do I let political correctness compromise a client's lawn.
No, still need K - I am assuming K is essential even though she did not post any specific information on K that I recall at the event. I would assume that the micros would be important as well as our soils tend to show on test that they are low on several.

Zoysia is a funny animal from what I can tell down here, I have two neighbors that switched to Zoysia several years ago. Both use the same fert and squirt guy who seems to provide quality work, Both mow their lawns at the same height, each lawn is right next to the other, face the same direction - one slightly larger than the other, however one always seems to be slightly greener than the other!!!!!!!

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

By the way Green,

Just waking up to the news that you are going to be getting some waves your way - hope all is well.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-11-2011, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yea Green, stay safe!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2011, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm still standing. Net effect of this one was for some waves to come up on the roads that are right next to the beach. Otherwise, where I am at is many miles inland. I will find out more on the weekend and next week about my clients. Some of them live on beachfront properties. Not going to do it right now. Some roads were closed last night and still not opened to traffic.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
No, still need K - I am assuming K is essential even though she did not post any specific information on K that I recall at the event. I would assume that the micros would be important as well as our soils tend to show on test that they are low on several.

Zoysia is a funny animal from what I can tell down here, I have two neighbors that switched to Zoysia several years ago. Both use the same fert and squirt guy who seems to provide quality work, Both mow their lawns at the same height, each lawn is right next to the other, face the same direction - one slightly larger than the other, however one always seems to be slightly greener than the other!!!!!!!
Back on topic: I have not seen the negatives of going over what I consider starvation rates of N. By the way some industry savants and the acclaimed researchers talk, my lawns ought to be unmaintainable, near death. But the opposite is true. Could it be that I am using the appropriate N source for the grass and soil chemistry? Or that I apply more than token amounts of K along with micronutrients.

The other factors that make a difference in grass appearance is the soil underneath and irrigation practices. The lawn that is not watered deeply and infrequently tends to have problems.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

According to your experience then green, the 8-2-12 UF palm blend sounds like a great choice for the empire, which my supplier agreed with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2011, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
According to your experience then green, the 8-2-12 UF palm blend sounds like a great choice for the empire, which my supplier agreed with.
Posted via Mobile Device
If that's the stuff from Nurseryman's sure-gro, then about $10 per pound of nitrogen is pricey for a turf fertilizer. Go for it if the budget is there.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Actually no. I do not like urea based fertilizers on turf except on acid soils. Also, why is there P in there. My usual for turf is a 20-0-20 or 20-0-10 + micronutrients. The N is ammonium based, the K is potassium nitrate. No chlorides.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantculture View Post
If that's the stuff from Nurseryman's sure-gro, then about $10 per pound of nitrogen is pricey for a turf fertilizer. Go for it if the budget is there.
Matt, not sure if they sell it, but I buy from Howard. They made it to the exact specs of Broschat.