Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2002, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

What would you do?

We mow a new "fine fescue" lawn that was installed (sodded) a year ago. The grass is bagged (per customer request) and watered regularly with a watering system. The problem we are facing is that the lawn is on a hill and enough dirt has washed off in places badly enough that the nylon webbing of the sod is exposed. Somehow soil needs to be added in these areas without being washed down the hill by the sprinkler system or hard rain. I think that given a couple of years of overseeding and growing the grass will thicken enough to stop the erosion problem but it needs soil now. Does anyone know a good way to do this? Keep in mind the lawn is quite large and on a pretty steep grade (too steep for anything bigger than a ZTR without tearing up the turf). Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Never seen anyone talk about it on here, but we use regular winter wheat seed when trying to quickly establish a root structure on hillsides and high erosion areas. comes up quick and seems to be compatable with KB and TF. If mowed, will eventially die off by the end of next season when hopefully the turf grass has taken over. We do some excavating and this seems to help out. Can purchace at most farm or feed stores for around $7.00 certified or $3.00 regular per bushel. Good luck Marc
Old 09-19-2002, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gravedigger5
Never seen anyone talk about it on here, but we use regular winter wheat seed when trying to quickly establish a root structure on hillsides and high erosion areas. comes up quick and seems to be compatable with KB and TF. If mowed, will eventially die off by the end of next season when hopefully the turf grass has taken over. We do some excavating and this seems to help out. Can purchace at most farm or feed stores for around $7.00 certified or $3.00 regular per bushel. Good luck Marc
That's really ingenious gravedigger5. Never think I would have come up with that one. Iíll be adding that little tidbit to my notes for the future.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If its not a lot of area, Id go get some more sod and patch it in.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

they do that here all the time when working on the interstate system . they use oats or winter wheat and use broam grass or heavy fescue
like gravdigger said comes up quik and gives the other grass a chance to get started
they have been working on I 80 and surrounding roads for over 20 years here im hoping they will finish it in the next 20 years
Old 09-19-2002, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I could buy Winter wheat that cheap. It makes for a great food plot for deer. I know it's off topic, but I'm getting in the mood. I think the others gave you the right idea. Good luck.