Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-10-2011, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Basic formula to bid mowing jobs

Mowers,

What is a basic formula to mow residential homes? I just started out on my own but have experience...Just want and idea on how to bid jobs fairly....Thanks
Old 03-10-2011, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

varies depending on where you live but for me it's $30 for 1/4 acre, $40 for 1/3 acre, $50 for 1/2 acre, $60 for 3/4 acre, and $75 for 1 acre
Old 03-10-2011, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I usually look at a lawn and estimate how long it takes to mow it, and I use a $30-$40 per hour rate to estimate how much per mow. I base closer to $40 per hour if it's far away or a PITA yard. I use a $30 minimum, unless a place is really tiny. For a season price I average 25-30 mows per season for western MI, 25 for no irrigation, 30 for with irrigation. This gets me ballpark. These are mow/trim/blow prices only, anything else is an extra service.
18' flatbed w/7,000 lb winch
Misc handhelds
Husky chainsaws
Old 03-10-2011, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

$1.00/min From the time i pull up to the house to the time i drive away. Most lawns I'm in and out in 25-30 min.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My advice is don't start out on your own. This is a question that only you can answer by analyzing your own cost of doing business. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it's the fact of the matter, if you can't even get that far you really have no place being "out on your own."
Old 03-10-2011, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasMWhite View Post
.... This is a question that only you can answer by analyzing your own cost of doing business. ....
This is a "chicken/egg" situation. I've read many responses like this, "What is your cost of doing business?" I think one needs to have two or three years of experience to get a good handle on the "cost of doing business." There are too many variables, too many unknowns, without any data.

Nobody would get started if we suggested they didn't extend themselves at the onset. Yes, pair up with somebody else, but how likely will somebody share all the information to make a decision to leave and get out on their own. This might happen if somebody is leaving the business, and wants to groom another to take over.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
This is a "chicken/egg" situation. I've read many responses like this, "What is your cost of doing business?" I think one needs to have two or three years of experience to get a good handle on the "cost of doing business." There are too many variables, too many unknowns, without any data.

Nobody would get started if we suggested they didn't extend themselves at the onset. Yes, pair up with somebody else, but how likely will somebody share all the information to make a decision to leave and get out on their own. This might happen if somebody is leaving the business, and wants to groom another to take over.
This is the problem with this industry. Guys come in with no knowledge of what it costs to be in this business. They start thinking "I'm making $25 an hour I'm doing awesome, I used to only make $12 an hour" they lower the prices for the whole industry and everyone loses.

I disagree with you completely when you say there are too many variables. They aren't really many variables at all.

Things you can figure out before you ever mow a lawn:

Cost per hour to run a lawn mower
Cost per week for insurance
Cost per mile for truck
Cost per year for your trailer
Cost per hour for you trimmer/blower
Cost per year for advertising

This all comes down to simple business principles. DO YOUR RESEARCH before you start a business. And don't tell me asking what others charge constitutes research. If you can't put together a very basic business plan, whether on paper or in your head. You shouldn't be in business for yourself.

A difference of $5 per hour will indefinitely determine how many jobs you land, and you don't want to be losing bids on jobs because Johnny High Price on lawnsite told you to charge $XX.XX per hour. Worse yet you don't want to go out of business because Joe Cheapo told you to charge $ZZ.ZZ and you now can't pay your bills. Determine your cost of doing business or get the hell out of business.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It a dollar a minute for me.Do I get it? Maybe 85% of the time. But, what NicholasMwhite said is true.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sad but true, that the "dollar a minute" benchmark has been around for over a decade....and we wonder why the landlizards come and go every year....we have only ourselves to blame
Old 03-11-2011, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nickolas, I respect your position, but stand on "too many variables" in determining costs.

When anybody starts, there is little understanding of maintenance costs. How long will a machine last? When I bought my Exmark w/b in 1995, I never believed it would be running well in 2011, ready for another season. I didn't know how long hydro pumps would last, the cost of replacement, etc. Also, I did not know how many miles to drive for a season. I didn't know the whereabouts of my customers, hence I didn't know how many miles to drive. In the early years, I was thrilled with five jobs per day. Now, I'm disappointed with seven. Advertising, ....? Who knows what will be needed? I spent $18 the first year, no other direct costs in the past 15 years. I am doubting many starting out can make a good estimate on what expenses will be associated with advertising.

Much is said about "cost of doing business" in these kinds of threads. In reality, there is much more discussion in more threads about "what the market will bear," "what others are charging," and "why won't people pay more for my services." In these discussions, "cost of doing business" has little to do with pricing. The "cost ...." has much to do with longevity and profitability, however. The 500# gorilla sits in the corner at all times.

The turnover in this industry is so fast that most never reach a point of understanding their business, their plan, or a realization of something of longevity. For most, the tasks to be done are the menial ones of grass cutting, trimming, mulching, etc. There is nothing unique about these tasks, nearly everybody can do them. Any business built on these asks is vulnerable, highly subject to pricing pressures. There is no shortage of posts on LS, "... I have been in business for five years .... I need a program to make invoices ...." When asked, rarely does somebody offer how they have been managing their finances for the previous five years. The answer is undoubtedly, "not." In these cases, nothing is being done to build a base of information to understand "cost of doing business," even though they have all the information to understand a basic concept of financial management. Strong, straight stripes, having a diesel powered mower, ... all more important than managing finances.

On the other hand, tasks of wall building, landscape design, plant selection, and install, and the like, are more specialized and not everybody can do this work. Pricing is much more leveraged because of the unique nature of the services being offered.

These principles are not unique to this industry.