Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hybrid fish removal

I've got a lady that has a rickety looking fish pool. it leaks and she wants a new liner put in. here's my trouble-she had tried taking fish out before and had no luck-they all died. i asked how she did that and she stated she used the same water from the pool in the container, put stress tablets in the water, aerated the water, but the fish still died.
the fish she has currently are koi and goldfish hybrids in a pool that is fed by a natural spring. they are about 4-5" in size and she doesn't want to take them out if these are gonna die as well. any ideas on how to remove them?????
Old 03-10-2011, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf500series View Post
I've got a lady that has a rickety looking fish pool. it leaks and she wants a new liner put in. here's my trouble-she had tried taking fish out before and had no luck-they all died. i asked how she did that and she stated she used the same water from the pool in the container, put stress tablets in the water, aerated the water, but the fish still died.
the fish she has currently are koi and goldfish hybrids in a pool that is fed by a natural spring. they are about 4-5" in size and she doesn't want to take them out if these are gonna die as well. any ideas on how to remove them?????
Immediately "stress tablets" got my attention. I have never heard of this product for fish. What is the manufacturer's name and if the product is REALLY for fish, was the proper dosage used? How many fish? How big is the pool? How big was the container that she used?

Koi/goldfish hybrids, though not unheard of, are quite uncommon, mainly because they are sterile and can't reproduce plus the fact that Goldfish will not only eat the eggs like Koi, but will also eat the newly hatched fry.

Any fish can be transferred without fatalities. Something was done or not done correctly in this case.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

There are many factors. Number one would be...how long were the fish out? Was the original pond water used for the tank? Were the fish fish placed back into "chlorinated" water?

How soon did they die?

Weather temps?

Just some more questions to find out the reason/s for the die off
Old 03-10-2011, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

When we clean our pond out annually, we put our koi and goldfish in a small stocktank. We take water from the pond to fill the tank, and put a weighted down screen over the top of the tank to keep them from jumping ship. Also, we also place a fountain pump in the tank as well to aerate the water (250 gph through a tube straight into the air, no nozzle). You should also put the tank in an area thats shaded to keep the water temp from spiking quickly.

Dont know if that will help you any, its just what I do with my fish...

P.S. use an oil-less pump or pond pump such as a magdrive pump to move the pond water to the tank. If she used a sump pump to move the water into the new container, its possible it leaked some oil into the water which could potentially kill them.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

im guessing she used the stress tablets that you can buy for fish tanksthe original pool they are in is prob 3'x6' and about 3' deep. she said that they weren't in the pool but just for a few hours and they died. yes she did use the original water and she used one of those pre-formed fountain pools to put them in after they were taken out. she also stated that it was fall when she did it and the pool is in the shade. your questions were the same ones that i asked her but--i never did ask what the "stress" tables were.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf500series View Post
im guessing she used the stress tablets that you can buy for fish tanksthe original pool they are in is prob 3'x6' and about 3' deep. she said that they weren't in the pool but just for a few hours and they died. yes she did use the original water and she used one of those pre-formed fountain pools to put them in after they were taken out. she also stated that it was fall when she did it and the pool is in the shade. your questions were the same ones that i asked her but--i never did ask what the "stress" tables were.
What she probably used was a product similar to "Stress Coat", which does absolutely nothing to reduce or prevent stress in a fish. It is really a mild irritant that is used to encourage a thicker slime /mucous coat on the fish to protect them from parasites. It doesn't do a thing to reduce or moderate transfer stress. I am going to venture a guess that she transferred the fish (from a pond that was likely overstocked) into a smaller container resulting in overcrowding that added more stress. Under stress, fish produce more Ammonia. If biological filtration/conversion was not provided, the Ammonia levels could very easily reach toxic levels in a short period of time not to mention possible depletion of Oxygen which would also make fatalities more likely.
If you are going to contract for this job, make sure that you have ample and proper temporary housing for the fish that will sustain them for a couple of days, if necessary. Otherwise, she may be expecting you to replace any fish that die.
Good Luck!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks--thats kinda what i had running around in the back of my mind but just wanted to make sure. i'll take some pics and let you know how it goes
Old 03-11-2011, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let her know that you won't warranty fish. Even with you doing everything possible fish do get shocked for many different reasons as stated. Unfortunately sometimes you lose one during a service call. I had a guy that actually tried to sue me because one of his fish died in the skimmer that I installed for him. His statement was that I and Savio knew that fish will swim into the skimmer and potentially get trapped and die.