Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2011, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Straw When Overseeding?

I have a new customer that wants me to overseed his yard, approx 6000 sq. ft.

His existing grass is just a little thin. I plan to use the slice-seeder to first dethatch, remove the thatch, and then take the slice seeder back over it, this time with the seed. Do I have to put straw down? Is there some other top dressing that I could use that is not so "messy". Is a top dressing absolutely necessary?

Any thoughts/suggestions on my plan listed above would be highly appreciated!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I would say no on the straw. You don't have to put anything down but if you wanted to you could spread peat moss. It will help hold moisture.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Remove the natural straw, dead grass and wonder about replacing it with oat straw, that makes a big mess...

Not trying to be a jerk, I just think it's eitherironic or funny...
Old 03-10-2011, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The whole point in slice seeding is to get the seed in the soil, hence it being covered. Straw attracts birds and sometimes will germinate and grow with the grass. If you absolutely want to cover it then use organic soil or compost, but again it isnt necessary.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You could...use the dead grass you just raked out as if it were straw. But plenty of water is easier than straw and cheaper, too. Be sure to use starter fert. Be sure to mow the old grass as short as possible to reduce competition against your new grass. Why is his old grass thin? Fix the cause first. Shade? Burn out? insects? Grubs? Think about the possible problems. If...you put in a top quality elite bluegrass or fescue ...it might be darker green than his present grass--the result--dark green spots. In an overseed situation only a few percent of new grass will successfully "take". Germination is so slow the old grass covers it up and it gets no light. Rye will give you quick results, customer happy, but it may die in heat. Avoid rye if your summer temps exceed 90. If this is a fescue situation, be sure to use a disease resistant variety--to brown patch fungus especially. If the literature does not say resistant to brown patch--it is not. Consider the new LS Varieties (Lateral spread) like Titanium LS.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillie View Post
The whole point in slice seeding is to get the seed in the soil, hence it being covered. Straw attracts birds and sometimes will germinate and grow with the grass. If you absolutely want to cover it then use organic soil or compost, but again it isnt necessary.
Excellent post :
Just to ad-lib...
Slit-seeding should get you through the dead grass layer, into the soil, and the dead grass layer should help keep your soil moist...
Old 04-07-2011, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerLawn&Landscape View Post
I have a new customer that wants me to overseed his yard, approx 6000 sq. ft.

His existing grass is just a little thin. I plan to use the slice-seeder to first dethatch, remove the thatch, and then take the slice seeder back over it, this time with the seed. Do I have to put straw down? Is there some other top dressing that I could use that is not so "messy". Is a top dressing absolutely necessary?

Any thoughts/suggestions on my plan listed above would be highly appreciated!
Just curious what you quoted for this job. Im actually doing the same thing for one of my new customers. I was just planning on using a rotary spreader. Do you guys think straw would be needed in this case since im not using a slice seeder?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No straw on an established Lawn. Soil contact is the issue.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

No straw...the existing grass will provide the same benefit as the straw would.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachy View Post
Just curious what you quoted for this job. Im actually doing the same thing for one of my new customers. I was just planning on using a rotary spreader. Do you guys think straw would be needed in this case since im not using a slice seeder?
What are you going to do, to establish adequate soil contact? You want to get the seed under the dead Spring grass, whereas sitting on top will not be so good...

Rotary spreaders will be throwing out a lot of seed, so if the lawn is bad enough to need it all over, then you should think in terms of a renovation rather than over seeding...