Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2002, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trailer Repairs - To do or not to do?

I know this is long, but if anyone has any ideas on this, it sure would help me out..

Ok, picked up a 16 by 7 foot dual axle trailer from a friend who is no longer using it for $50. He had to get rid of it.

I put down a new wood floor on this trailer using pressure-treated decking, painted it up and re-did the lights. Total spend - right around $275. total total.

Added a full trimmer rack system and made my own easy gate, which I can always take off of this trailer if I decide to sell it. So I'm not counting that money..

Now, the "passenger side" of the front axle is wacked out. Must of hit a curb or two in it's past history. 3 of the 4 tires are shot to heck. The hydralic surge brakes don't seem to work.

So I asked a trailer company around here for an "estimate" to do the work to get the trailer up and running.

To put on 4 new tires (and i'd have the one good one left mounted on a rim as a spare cause I don't have one right now) would be $347.00... Guy is charging $87.00 a tire, these are 20.5*8-10 in size? I know I saw Carlise USa Trail Hwy's on www.stopandgotires.com in my size even with an "F" Load rating for $51 a piece... $278 delivered to my door which is $69.50 a tire... Is Mounting them onto a rim worth $20 a tire? I have no idea what shops charge for that service...

Now, add on $129 for a 3500# 2 3/8" axle. Add on a U-bolt kit and a grease seal and a grease cap and 5 hours of labor at $55 an hour and we're looking at a grand total of.....$863.00!!!!

That's without fixing the brakes which he says are locked up and shot to heck. No fluid, rusted lines, actuator on the hydralic system doesn't work, etc.

So... if he was to replace the couple, with a new actuator and a new coupler, and do all that was listed above, we're looking at a grand total of $1143.....

I told the guy not to do anything, and I picked the trailer up from the place I took it.. I'm taking it to a second place for another estimate.

Do you think I'm being hosed?

If you had this LARGE trailer, (16*7), would you get any of the above work done?

I want to SELL this trailer and my SMALL 4 by 8 trailer and buy a nice medium size trailer, probably something that has a 5-6 foot width and a 10-12 foot length. My current mower(s) is a 32" Exmark and a 21 push, I may be going to a 48" walkbehind in the future, but I think any 6*10 or 6*12 could fit a 48",32" and a 21" no problem. I have all the trimmer racks that I would mount on the new trailer...

What do you think a 16*7 trailer would fetch if I left it "not fixed up" or should I "fix it up, no brakes", or "fix it up, with brakes" and spend the whole $1143, add the $275 I spent on wood and lights and sell it for $1500 and come out ahead by $100? Or no way would a 16*7 ever fetch $1500? What if I didn't fix anything on it at all? Would anyone pay more than $225 for the trailer as described?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gary
Old 09-18-2002, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I say no-fix-up. You wouldn't get $1,000 for it after you had all that work done to it.. I'd say sell it for what you have into it now, which would be $275. Put that toward a new one. Your trailer prices I'm sure are lower than mine are. They want $1500 for a 5X10 (Washington guys know what I'm talkin' about). I think you could get a 6X12 for about $1100-1200 or so. It would be lower to the ground than what yours is now, which in my eyes, is a big plus. Hauled my Toro Proline around on a snowmobile trailer before I bought my Exmark and a new trailer, not fun. Too high, no sides, looked stupid, and it was long and wide. I hope you figure something out! Good luck!

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 09-18-2002, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't seem like its worth the hassle, I hate fixin & selling. My advice is to sell both your trailers and buy a 6 X12 single or tandem whatever fits the budget. A 6 X 12 carries my "36,"48 and 2 "21s with room to spare.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Put that trailer for sale ASAP

Ask $250 but if you get offered $150 take it and don't look back you won't regret it.

I have learned over the years that loss of productivity makes junk the MORE EXPENSIVE THAN NICE STUFF!!!

KB
Old 09-18-2002, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Member

i would save money and fix it myself.if you don't how too it's a good chance to learn.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Find someone else to look at it or do the brake work yourself.

The price for the Carlile tires is about right. I just priced a set of them for just about the same.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I was nearly in the same boat, but not as bad. I had figured I was going to have to spend $500 fixing up my 16ft, but that was just for tires, decent rims and a new gate. More for breaks and emergency break-away breaking unit. Instead, I took that money and just applied it to a new trailer for $1,300. Now I want to sell my old one and get a 10 ft for just hauling my overseeder and aerator around, maybe even just a 8 ft trailer. Maybe you can order you a new trailer without the deck and use the wood that you just bought to put in it.

MATT

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 09-18-2002, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

doug--are you nuts?

I can put you on a 6.5X16 ALL BRAND NEW except the tires are used but made to look new for $750. add $100 for brakes on one axle.

GEO
Old 09-18-2002, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Still Waiting

I'm still waiting for the second estimate quote to come back to me to see where that puts me. When I do get it, I'll see if I can make any kind of deal with the place that they keep that trailer and use that towards a new 6*12 or whatever.

I think the pricing of trailers is weird, cause you guys on here say how I can get a 6*12 for $1000 to $1500 according to the replies so far, so I figure that my "fixed up" perfect condition 7*16 would fetch even more money.. Plus it has a super sturdy rear gate on it that is real nice and that adds to the value as well.

Either way, I don't know if I can sell it with 2 flats and a bent axle.. I might ask the shop what the price would be just to change the axle and a set of tires, even if used is better than what is on 2 of them right now...

Geogunn, where can you get a new 16*6.5 with brakes complete for $850? That seems awefully low.

Any idea how much a garage charges to change a tire onto a rim?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 09-18-2002, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

This kind of reminds me of Bush Hog Boy and his scag. I guess there are two kinds of people in this world. Both are perfectly o.k.
The first kind is the guy who likes to tinker on things / do it your self / maybe has a a little more time and patience than the rest of us. The other kind is the guy who says - my life will probably be alot more simple if I just spend a little more and get a newer / new piece of gear. Thats how I am. My advise in sell your two trailers and go get the one you want. Let us know how it works out.