Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2011, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Which Mower

Alright, I started a business a few years ago, then went off to college and got my business degree this past December. Now, I am getting back into the business and want to know what kind of mower I should get. I am going to be mainly doing residential jobs, probably between 1/4 and 1 acre, with at least one that is 2+ acres and a LOT of trimming. I also plan on taking on some commercial properties. My question is, what kind of mower would you all recommend?

Basically, because this is really my first year hitting it with everything I got, would a Husqvarna 54" zero turn and maybe a 34" Ariens WB be ok to start of with. Granted, I really don't have much start up and I have to try to get some clients lined up asap.

So, is a nice mower from Home Depot or Lowes going to get me through for a while with regular maintenance, or should I go another route?

Thanks for any and all advice..
Old 03-11-2011, 03:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't go with Lowes or Home Depot products, with the exception of some of the echo products at Home Depot. I tried this when I started my business 6 years ago and regretted very much because they are simply not made for commercial applications. Go find a good honda or toro on craigslist that you can pick up cheap. If you have decent credit, go to the closest John Deere dealer and check out their new commercial push mower, I just switched all of mine from honda to the new John Deere's because I think they are worth it. But whatever you do, don't go with the cheap store stuff.

Tags
brand , commercial , mower , residential , starting business