Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2011, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

advice needed

Alright, I'm gettin a small company started. I have some mowing experience and two guys with a lot of experience - I'm mainly fronting the money for the start up costs.

I am wanting to purchase a zero-turn mower, around a 54 inch front deck. Is it possible to get a good one for under $5000? I know that grasshopper seems to be the way to go, but i really dont want to bury myself in 10k of start up costs of gettin the best right off the bat. Any advice?

I found one on Home Depot's web site that is sitting at $3800. Its a 54 inch Z beast with a subaru motor with a roll bar and head lights. It seems to be alright, except i dont like that it has a mid-deck.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont use zero turn mowers but everyone here will tell you not to buy one from home depot/lowes.

I cant give you much more advice than that. You'll wear the sucker out.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice. much appreciated
Old 03-10-2011, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

the mowers like that at home depot/lowes are just there higher end homeowner mowers, the ROPs and lights just make them look beefier and more heavy duty. You could by the chepiest mower from a commercial dealer and it would be alot stronger then the most expensive at hd.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

54" zero turn rider? seems a bit small. if you only have 5k, i would look at a 52" walker and a velke for large areas. if your doing alot of large area get a 61" or 72" rider.
Not really the answer you where looking for but before you just go out and buy a zero turn rider you have to ask do i need one. last year we used alll walkers and velkes. we have properties up to 6 acres.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Buy a nice used machine. Are you only buying 1 mower? If so you might be better off with a new hydro walk behind. 3 man partnership is very unlikely to be successful. I would really think about that before you get going.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks nepats - i am the sole owner, and those guys are just working for me. i plan on doing most of the work myself, but having them on call also since i work a full time job as well. more than likely i willjust be having one guy helping me at a time, if any.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks to everyone else too. all good advice. taking everything into consideration before i make a purchase
Old 03-11-2011, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Member

54" or 62" Z Beast mowers

I suggest you take a good look. You can buy and test for 30 days. If not happy within 30 days, return for full refund. ROPS, 7 ga. deck, Subaru 22 hp (54") or Kawasaki 31 hp (62"), commercial warranty, 10 mph+ speed, welded frame and deck, large tires...not a homeowner mower as suggested above.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I suggest you get something used before buying something brand new, your not even sure how many customers will get in your 1st year. Don't buy equipment if you don't have the work for it.
Complete lawn care services